The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my flyer for this years pa chunk gun shoot . is there anyone on her that is going. or goes to any chuck gun shoots.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
I am intrigued by the type of competition. Never actually attended or shot such a match.

When and where?

As I understand it, chunk gun matches are for round ball guns, shot in prone position, with a muzzle rest, at a 60 yd target that is shaped like an "x" and closest to the x wins. One shot per target and several targets over a number of relays. With the shooter having the shortest string measure being the winner.

While any open sight round ball gun can be used, specially shaped butt stocked, heavy barrel guns are used by fans of that type of shooting.

ERH, please correct me if I describe anything wrong.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The match is held at Medhia Game Farm in East Waterford PA on July 14 2014 . if anyone wants a flyer I can send one to them . it has directions and a preregistration form they incurage pre registration because they have a pig roast at the shoot. But its not required !!!!

zimmerstutzen u got it real close but I will add a few things
1 there r ten one shot matches
2 u bring your own target it can be what ever shape and size u want. u r shooting for group size not point of aim ( the old guys like this)
the way the shooting works is u post your target at 60 yards . then u have what they call a practice time. about a hour . u shot at your target that u brought with u as many times as u want trying to get the best group u can. when practice is over they will call match 1 and u will take the first target from the pack of 10 and take it down range to the backer and slide the target behind the one u brought with u . putting the x as close to the center of the group u shot in practice time. then everyone goes back and the call the line hot everyone shoots there one shot. they give everyone plenty of time maybe 20min. but it varies. Then they close the line and u take target 2 from the pack down range and take the first one down and replace with target 2 and repeat it over again for 10 shoots .

I hope this makes sense. but it sounds like a lot but its not .
and they score a bunch of different ways .each match is scored sep. so theirs a winner for each one of the 10 matches and then there r winners for over all score. where they add up all ten targets. then best x of the match witch is the closes to the center

hope this helps and if anyone has any questions let me know . I would be glad to help

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
and the barrels are made out of a chunk of iron (many being 1.5 inches across the flats and 40 to 50 inches long)

And they throw a chunk of lead. I have a heavy barrel 62 caliber gun that I was told is/was a chunk gun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts