The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but I am thinking about planting a very small plot in my back yard this spring. My yard borders woods and my property extends about 25 yards into the woods leaving me just enough room to put up a stand for archery season. The area of my yard that blends into the woods is just weeds and junk right now that I could remove and plant something to attract deer.

I'm not sure what would be the best thing to plant that will keep the deer coming through hunting seasons in a small quantity. I'm talking about a 1/4 acre or less. Also, the big question is what will grow well without direct sunlight? At times of the day there will be plenty of sun, but being right next to the woods will also bring shade.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would <1/4 acre of corn last through the winter? also, will corn grow well without 100% direct sunlight?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
all you need is C'MERE DEER. thats what TV told me and thats what im sticking too. ...just kidding.

half corn and half clover would be a good choice for a low to moderate deer herd on the property. if you have high numbers of deer, throw some soybean in there with corn and clover.

remeber to check with an argonimist(i think thats what they are called) to enusre whatever you decide on will grow in your area. it would cost you between $350-$450 for roughly 5 acres

happy planting!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
1/4 acre of corn would probally be eaten after a couple weeks. our deer here have allready eaten most of the corn laying in our one field and have started to eat in the other ones

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
here they are just eating wats left over after harvesting. so it should last alot longer for u since you aren't harvesting it.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
you mentioned the area between the yard and the woods as a canidate location for a plot. Don't overlook the main part of the lawn itself. You can increase the amount of clover and keep it well fertilized and it will attract deer. Leave it a little long when you mow it. A good clover would be white dutch clover. Make sure you have the pH up to at least neutral. Not sure if frost seeding will work with this clover, you may need to prep it like a regular food plot.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
White Dutch clover is a more shade tolerant clover and would be worth a try.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will the clover continue to last into the winter, and is it perennial?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Clover is a perennial, but goes dormant with cold weather. They will still dig thru the snow to get to what is left, which usually isn't much.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well since we don't get snow here in SE PA but once a year anymore, I'm not so much worried about it growing and be accessible through the snow as much as I am about it still being around through the winter months for the deer to munch on even if it is dormant.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts