The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I don't know if this is in the right place so if its not, somebody please move it to the right place. I have 2 H&R 12 ga single shots that I would like to revamp and modify. By modify I mean I wanna cut there barrels down to 18 1/2" I believe that they have a full choke on them currently, they don't say and aren't threaded. If I cut them off will I be able to run slugs through them without the threat of them blowing up in my face? Next question is this. How easy is it to cut a shotgun barrel? Any help on the second question would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Most fixed choke guns are only choked at the last few inches of the barrel. If you are going to cut it down then most likely you are going to open it up which would be ok for slugs. Yopu would have to mic the end of the barrel after you cut it down to know the restriction.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Take it to Economy Gunsmithing and have them cut them. They shouldn't charge you an arm and a leg to do so.....call to first check what the price is....

Not sure what the State/Federal regs are on an 18.5" shotgun barrel but I think anything shorter than 20" on a shotgun may cause an issue....

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
Why not have a knowledgable gunsmith check the barrel thickness and see if he can ream and thread it for interchangable chokes? It may be that you don't have to lop of any of the muzzle to achieve what you want. Just a thought.

·
Registered
718 Posts
winchesterbob said:
Take it to Economy Gunsmithing and have them cut them. They shouldn't charge you an arm and a leg to do so.....call to first check what the price is....

Not sure what the State/Federal regs are on an 18.5" shotgun barrel but I think anything shorter than 20" on a shotgun may cause an issue....

18.5 is the shortest barrel allowed by law on shotguns 16 on rifles. He is safe at 18.5. I see plenty of shotguns at the store with 18.5 barrels.

Why cut up two old guns? I bet you could stick a slug barel on them. The barrels on those single shots are usually interchangeble.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
If your going to cut anything to minimum legal lenght, you better be sure your ruler is certified by weights and measures.
Why on earth would you want to go through all that trouble to shoot slugs out of a single shot, 18.5" shotgun barrel without sights?

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't want to cut them down just for slugs. I mostly want to cut them down just because I can and think it would be cool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts