The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Remington 870 Youth model I purchased new in about 1992 for my son. I'm thinking about using it as a turkey gun and would like to get a choke tube for it.

Does anyone know if these guns use the standard Rem Choke tubes? I've searched the net, including Rem's website and can't find a definitive answer. Sounds like the current run uses standard tubes, but it appears that the model has changed a little over the years, and it appears that the older ones don't use standard 870 barrels.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
try talking to a local gunsmith, they might know or be able to tell you where you could find the answer you`re looking for or try a gun shop that you deal with, and I`m not talking your big box stores either. I`m thinking your mom and pop type . good luck and let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
417 Posts
TTBOMK, they all use the same 20ga Rem Choke tubes if factory threaded. There was some variation in the barrels themselves (i.e. Some older twenties were built on larger frames necessitating a heavier barrel, some light contour, etc.) but the bore diameter and thread pattern/pitch remain consistent.

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TTBOMK, they all use the same 20ga Rem Choke tubes if factory threaded. There was some variation in the barrels themselves (i.e. Some older twenties were built on larger frames necessitating a heavier barrel, some light contour, etc.) but the bore diameter and thread pattern/pitch remain consistent.

Thanks Marc.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have two youth 870's in 20 gauge. My kids always used the Remington xtra full chokes with good success. Shot Winchester #4 turkey loads. Nowadays I would probably try Win. Longbeards or heavy shot. Good luck with it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts