The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been awhile since I've been shooting trap but I'm heading to the local sportsmen club tomorrow to shoot my Super Vinci.
I'm using one of the factory choke tubes. IC, MOD or IM
Also, what size shot?

What would you recommend?

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't think a full choke would be used, but that's why I asked! I've got a factory full choke to use.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Full choke with #8 shot worked just fine. Shot 3 rounds thru my new Super Vinci, 20, 20, and a 22.
Not bad for an old man!

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
My son has used full since the start, it is overkill but you get good with a full choke you get good PERIOD. He is as good at handicap as he is at 16 yards, no chipping his way there they disappear.

Most of those we shoot with use IMP MOD in their fancier trap guns, John uses a Rem 870 trap fixed full likely costs him a few birds to them over the long haul, especially when they shot 100 at is gets a little tiring and they get a little sloppy.

Started this summer as well,my son has shot for 3 years and already went to nationals, and they took second in OH this past weekend. My daughter started last year, standing on a trap line with tow of your kids is addicting and a real sense of pride. now if i could beat them...LOL.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If shooting a full is how you get better, than why not shoot a super full? How does he shoot handicap at 16 yards when the minimum is 18 yards? You don't get good by shooting a full choke, you get good by having proper technique. Choke has so little to do with it, people rarely miss targets due to a choke, and I will bet $100,000 on it.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I shoot an IM for 16's and h-caps out of my BT99.

I shot a full out of my shorter barrel Citori and did just fine.

Shooting a tighter choke definitely makes you stay on the bird, less room for error. I dont know if it makes you better, but no argument it is less forgiving.

Keep shooting...I love it. I just wish ammo was cheaper these days.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I like to shoot full choke outta my BT 99. Shot size really doesn't matter IMO, I saw no difference between 7.5-9 shot in scores.

·
Registered
689 Posts
For what it is worth I think you need to look at your shooting style. Chokes actually have approximate ranges. If you are one of those people that "RIDES" the target you will need a FULL choke. If you are lightning quick you will benefit by a more open choke. The target doesn't have to be smoked to score a "hit" on the score sheet.

·
Registered
553 Posts
If you're new to trap use either IC or M. Full is usually only used by experts and/or handicap trap to get the extra 11 yards distance. In my O/U I have M in the top barrel and IC in the bottom. I use the top for the 1st squad of the day when I might be a little slower and the bottom for all the rest. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
1straightshot said:
For what it is worth I think you need to look at your shooting style. Chokes actually have approximate ranges. If you are one of those people that "RIDES" the target you will need a FULL choke. If you are lightning quick you will benefit by a more open choke. The target doesn't have to be smoked to score a "hit" on the score sheet.
This.......16 thru 27 yards you are good to go. Doubles?.....different story.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts