The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year I start chestnut trees from seed in my garden. This year my garden was hit bad by the tomato blight. My question is will the blight in any way affect or kill the chestnut nuts that I put there to over winter? The blight is airborne from everything I read. The blight did not effect my seedlings from this spring and I plant all over this area and need to keep the cost down so what are your thoughts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
There is no relation between the two... Different "blights" are quite different in what causes them and what species they affect and how they affect them.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone

One another note anyone with a garden that had the blight.
I phoned the Penn State extension office and was told that if I want to plant tomatoes in the area this spring I should take clear plastic and cover the garden this spring for 7 sunny days with temps in the mid 70's the high temps under the plastic will kill any leftover spores

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Tess, use black plastic. The temps under it will get much higher and kill more effectively.

Plus, if you can find someone that has a pool cover they intend to throw away, that will do the job for a portion of the garden.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts