The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the law about children ages pre-teen riding by themselves on Township Roads?Are they allowed on Township Roads?

·
Registered
9,646 Posts
I might just be a country hick and not get out much but the last time I checked it is illegal to operate ATV,s on any roads that are operated by the general public and that aren,t privately owned or a place that they are allowed to be like a ATV Park regarless of age.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Unless the road is marked for ATV use, which is possible, they are illegal.

I'm gonna say they ate gonna have to be at least 12 if the road was marked.

Look it up on the dcnr website.

·
Registered
351 Posts
i believe its illegal for anyone to ride on township roads. i had heard from a buddy of mine who lived in an area with a lot of farms that had issues with cops busting them riding there quads on roads. They placed orange triangles on them and called them farm equipment. cops couldnt do anything about it. not sure if that was an area spacific type of thing or what. i would just call your local township and find out.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
As far as age limit to operate on ATV designated roads , I've never read anything about age limits , but it would probably follow the same rules as on State trails . I know for a fact there are such roads in Elk and Armstrong Counties . If you follow Rt.66 out of Kittanning , you will see a ATV sign on a road about 2-3 miles out on your left . Armstrong OK'd these roads about 2 years ago . Not sure where they lead or how many miles , but they are there .

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
law schmaw, letting your pre-teen drive a quad on a public road is asking for a tragedy. actually, anyone driving a quad on a public road is asking for it.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
ATVs injure alot of people every year...Trees and barbwire fences and uneven terrain they tend to flip over...They weigh upwards of 400 to 700 pounds...It comes down on top of you and head injuries can happen..

·
Registered
21,260 Posts
I live about one mile from the Elk county line.The majority of the twp roads in southern Elk county,especially Jay twp are open to ATV's.You have to wear a helmet,have insurance and have the machine registered.I'm not sure,but I think the minimum age is 16.

·
Registered
21,260 Posts
good ole boy said:
I might just be a country hick and not get out much but the last time I checked it is illegal to operate ATV,s on any roads that are operated by the general public and that aren,t privately owned or a place that they are allowed to be like a ATV Park regarless of age.
Nope,twp's can regulate their use and allow them on their roads.It's being pushed in a couple other twps around here but most won't allow it to happen.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
burk313 said:
ATVs injure alot of people every year...Trees and barbwire fences and uneven terrain they tend to flip over...They weigh upwards of 400 to 700 pounds...It comes down on top of you and head injuries can happen..
Your just an old stick in the mud aren't you.

·
Registered
465 Posts
No way a cop could catch you on one anyways, last time I checked a police cruiser was a little wider than a quad. Turn onto the closest trail and see ya

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
robin hood said:
i believe its illegal for anyone to ride on township roads. i had heard from a buddy of mine who lived in an area with a lot of farms that had issues with cops busting them riding there quads on roads. They placed orange triangles on them and called them farm equipment. cops couldnt do anything about it. not sure if that was an area spacific type of thing or what. i would just call your local township and find out.
This does not smell right, looking on tractor forums I see people being fined for driving too fast w/ those triangles. I think they are for operation under 15 mph so the cops could do something!

·
Registered
21,260 Posts
good ole boy said:
I can legally go on our back road between our farms for farm use but I betcha my minor kids can,t and I wouldn,t let em anyway.
I'm not sure of the law when you're using an ATV for farm use.You would know better than me but I always thought minors could operate farm machinery on roads.Again,I could certainly be wrong about that.

·
Registered
9,646 Posts
I did operate tractors on roads when I was a minor back in the day and the laws have been changing and frowning on that cause traffic on country roads has changed 100 fold since I was a youngin and the world is full of sue happy people.I wouldn,t let my kids run tractors or ATV,for that matter on today,s roads.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts