The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question on how other camps handle members children joining? Ages, costs, rules, etc. any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
A camp that I belong to has no age limit. I joined when I was 15 ... many years ago!

The unwritten criteria at the camp is whether an individual is responsible enough to be a member, and can fulfill the financial and ethical conditions of membership ... seems to work at our place.

Once I was taken in as a member (as a third generation member), I knew what was expected of me, and I performed my obligations the same as an adult member would.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
A very touchy and somtimes troublsome subject , sometimes the apple does fall far from the tree. there are some real horror stories when a senior member passes and his son is guarnteed a membership.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Know one has passed, all members are in agreement that we want their children to join, do we charge them a full membership, or do we give them a break?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
We have a membership limit of 12 and an age minimum of 21. The age is based on the legal drinking age in PA and was recently added to ensure a responsible adult was watching for underage drinking.
When a vacancy occurs children of existing members are given preference but still have to accepted unanimously.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
JMO , but that is a decision that the membership will have to make. I do know of several camps where the deceased members son just steps into his dads spot as a full fledged member with no cost .

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
my camp you are born into it...thats what is nice a abouta family owned camp with out a ton of partners

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Sons have first shot at membership when one becomes availableat my camp. They still have to pass by 80%. When we added that clause, we ended alot of wicked politics. For the past ten years or so, we have always had eligible sons. In our camp, they still must pay the initiation fee.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Our camp no ones chidren are gauranteed membership. Whe a place opens up, a parent may nominate a child for membership, but the camp must vote & discuss the matter, it takes more then just being a relative to a member to being voted into our camp.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Our camp no ones children are gauranteed either. You have to be voted in. Every member has to vote yes for someone to become a member and they have to pay dues for the year plus an initiation fee.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My Dad was one of the original members - when he passed in 68 I was offered to step on as a member..Received one of those "special invitations" to join the military . in 68 and had to go - didn't get back home till 72 but never had a chance to hunt outta the camp - was burned down before I got home.. and everybody decided not to rebuild - all other members wer older and didn't want the financial burden..

·
Registered
91 Posts
I will preface this by saying that we have a great group of guys in our camp right now.......kids can become Members when they are 18. They must be voted in by the camp membership just like anyone else......three No votes and you are not a member. If voted in, they pay the same initiation fee and annual membership fee as all other members. We have found that keeping all fees the same forces them to have some skin in the game and be more inclined to use the camp, attend work weekends, etc. If we get close to the maximum number for membership, camp member's kids are given preference over anyone else. Kids under 18 are charged the same Daily fee as Members for the days in Deer Season they are there so they get a bit of a break there. Has worked well for us over the years and we have two 18 year old young men that are the kids of Members up for Membership this fall!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts