·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these Chicken Mushrooms? If so what is the best way to cook them

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yep, that's a sulfur shelf (chicken of the woods). The outer edges are the most tender and there are lots of recipes out there. I've tried them a few times and chickens are not one of my favorites. But other people seem to really like them. You could try to sautee them in butter or cut into cubes and cook in chicken flavored bullion.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you soak them over night in salt water to get the bugs out first?

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
anything i gotta soak over night to get the bugs out i ain't eatin. thats just me though i don't do fungus.

it does look like ya got some good stuff though, my only advice is make sure ya know what ya got before ya dig in

·
Registered
36,758 Posts
Nikdob said:
Do you soak them over night in salt water to get the bugs out first?
Soaking mushrooms really isn't advisable, but some like morels you almost have to; mabe 20 minutes or so. Mushrooms are 90% water and soaking them will only help them to decompose sooner. Yours look like nice young chickens and are fairly clean. You can wipe them off with a wet paper towel and inbedded dirt can be removed with a mushroom brush or a soft bristled toothbrush. The outside edges are always the tenderest and usually gets tougher going to the nd of the stem. I've cut them up in pieces and sauteed them in butter with alittle salt and pepper, maybe with some garlic also. If you put them in the fridge DO NOT store in plastic bags, paper bags are best.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
is there any dangerous mushroom that looks even similar to a chicken of the woods? and has can you freeze them to save longer?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Guys come on if you dont know what they are leave them in the woods. You pick them and happen to touch your eyes your mouth or something then a new post comes out asking for prayers. If you dont know what you are doing leave them in the woods.

·
Registered
742 Posts
TATERDAVID said:
anything i gotta soak over night to get the bugs out i ain't eatin. thats just me though i don't do fungus.

it does look like ya got some good stuff though, my only advice is make sure ya know what ya got before ya dig in
You don't know what you're missing....

·
Registered
459 Posts
Retired Donkey said:
Guys come on if you dont know what they are leave them in the woods. You pick them and happen to touch your eyes your mouth or something then a new post comes out asking for prayers. If you dont know what you are doing leave them in the woods.
I have to agree, I have no clue about mushrooms other then morels. I did however pick some to show an expert I work with a few years ago... boy did he give me heck... all it takes is a few spore getting on your hands, then you eat something or put in a dip befor washing.... now you're sick!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts