The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
There out early this year, a guy I know found one that had been out for a while, was too far gone. I woukdnt be waiting around this year.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was pretty sure I heard them called Hen and Chicken of the woods. If this is the same mushroom.
I found them in Northern PA. I started carving it up and frying it and my wife said "what it he [censored] are you doing". Don't do this at home kids, but I ate it anyway. Tastes like steak. Pretty tough and stringy. Should I assume that is because this one is too mature? There were mushrooms of all varieties everywhere. Sure wish I knew more about what was edible.

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
Hens, or Sheepheads are nothing like a "Chicken" or "Chicken of the Woods". Chickens, when "fresh" are a brilliant Orange color. They are a polypore that grows on decaying wood. They tend to lose the color lustre are they mature.

You have a Sheephead. Tough to clean the bugs out, but great dredged in batter and fried. If you didn't like the Hen, don't eat a Chicken.

·
20,127 Posts
That you can see haha. Mites all over those things. I can never see the bugs on Morels either but when you soak them in salt water they are all over.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Chicken of the woods comes in two varieties. One grows on dead or dying wood and has a yellowish underside. You should steer clear of eating those found on evergreens.

Then there are those that grow on the roots of the tree and come up out of the ground. These have a pure white underside.

Both are edible, the variety with the white underside is the preferred edible, but both are good. Be aware that if you have not eaten them before that they could present some gastric distress to some people so don't over do it the first time. And yes, they do taste like chicken!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts