The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
I built one last spring kinda... I drug an old shed outs of the woods that had a good roof on it, and re-sheeted the sides and added a nesting box.. Then built a 12'x7' pen and screwed it to the front of the coop. Will snap a few pics tomorrow and put them up for ya. Pretty fun stuff.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Here's one I built using our old dog kennel. I added another 8ft. run on the end after these pictures were taken.

I've housed up to 14 chickens in it. I currently have 7.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The actual Coop dimensions are 8' L x 4'W x 8'H
It will roost 12 chickens comfortably. The floor of the coop is elevated 2 feet off the ground. The space underneath is shared access for the birds to retreat from the heat and to dust themselves. And as a storage space for clean wood shavings.

The tin covered run is 8'x 12' with a door to keep them under if need be.

The open air run is about 15' x 12' with string run across the top to discourage young hens from attempting to fly out. Because they have. Though I do free range them.

Nest box is accessed from outside the coop. Three nest boxes. One box will accomodate 3 hens. So 3 is ample for the dozen hens I have. Most times they use only 2.

Outside access to clean the coop. Storage compartment below. Four homemade windows for summer ventilation. I even went so far as to insulate the coop and it keeps the inside a bit cooler in the blazing summer sun. The tin color is light colored to reflect suns rays and keep from retaining heat.

I put a perch under the roofed run to allow younger birds an escape from the older birds punishment as pecking order is established and a reason to exercise the wings.

I went to Backyard Chickens for the design idea. I incorporated two designs together from the medium coop category that I liked. It was FF-EMT's Coop and BATTERYMANS.

I like it, and the girls do too. Plus a good, sturdy building adds value to the property if you sale!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
glock3540.....I recognize that coop from the BYC site! Nice build...I read up on that one 4 years ago!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts