The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had a company car to use for the past year so my personal vehicle a 2000 chevy blazer doesnt get used much and i leave it at my work. about a month ago my dad borrowed my blazer for a week without any problems. the work van i use needs to go in for repairs this week so i decided to change the oil in my blazer today. got in my blazer and all the lights worked but the battery didnt have enough juice left to turn the motor over. jumped the blazer with the work van and let it run for about 15 minutes. pulled the blazer inside the garage and changed the oil and checked all the fluids. i did spill some antifreeze down between the battery and radiator when i was checking the rad level. i get in to start the blazer and back it outside and nothing. no lights of any kind dash, interior, exterior etc. i pushed it outside figuring it needs jumped and still nothing. the only light that comes on at all is the "service engine soon". i plugged in a code reader and it wont read anything. tried a new battery and still nothing. a clicking sound that sounds like the turn signal is on is coming from under the glove box and it happens whether the key is in or out of the ignition. only way to stop the clicking sound is to disconnect the battery. i checked all of the fuses and none are blown. the only thing i can think of is that when i spilt the antifreeze that it got down somewhere to short something out but there isnt much to short out below the battery? im hoping thats it and tomorrow after it dries out it will start? any ideas? im lost
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,141 Posts
Bad or loose electrical connection or corroded ground wire? With the key on try moving some of the battery connections and sources of power around. Good luck and let us know what the problem was.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,827 Posts
rem760 said:
or corroded ground wire?
It is usually the first thing I check when I have similar problems. Sometimes the cable looks fine on the outside but corrosion builds up on the inside and increases resistance.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,061 Posts
Once I had corrosion all the way down in the starter cables. Try replacing the cable going to the starter, and or the starter itself. Tap the starter with a hammer while somebody is turning it over. I had this problem as well, then its time to replace the starter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my dad got laid off last week so he had time today to stop at my work and connect the battery and as soon as he did that the lights came on. and he said it started right up. he took it for a 20 minute drive. he got back and turned on and off a few times. i got back later and it started right up for me as well. i talked to a mechanic this morning and he said that antifreeze can mess with electrical until it dries up and it effects it different than water. i believe it was the spilt antifreeze causing the battery to short itself out somewhere in the wiring.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top