The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed on my Chinese Chestnut trees are dropping their flowering catkins {do not know their proper name} at a good rate the trees were loaded with them. I hope this is normal or do I have a serious problem ? They are getting water from rain and occasional spring water when I can get to them. The Dunstans are looking fine with only a few hairy pods.Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
11 to 12 foot tall. Some smaller catkins are starting to come out,but nothing like the ones that fell off.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Unlike other plant species with flowers housing both male and female reproductive parts, chestnut trees grow two distinctively different flower types. Referred to as catkins, chestnut flower heads develop as male, pollen-producing structures at the beginning of the summer. As the season progresses, the tree creates bisexual flower heads. These flowers, having both male and female reproductive parts, allow pollen to fertilize their structures for nut development.
Does a Chestnut Tree Have to Be Cross-Pollinated? | Home Guides | SF Gate

hope this helps

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Normal happenings. Got 22 in back yard and all trees in the range you described did this. Most all loaded with nuts. Though, 2 have been without chestnuts for their entirety.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the the advice guys.I knew I could get answers here on HPA. I can not see any nuts from my 7 trees yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts