The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 year old dunstan chestnut trees planted and right above the tree protection on one of them ...a buck rubbed it high above the plastic cage wrap! . UGGGHHH...The wire protection was taken off as it was tangling with branches.I was wondering if anything can be done to help heal the damaged area and hopefully save this 17 ft tree.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I have 4 year old dunstan chestnut trees planted and right above the tree protection on one of them ...a buck rubbed it high above the plastic cage wrap! . UGGGHHH...The wire protection was taken off as it was tangling with branches.I was wondering if anything can be done to help heal the damaged area and hopefully save this 17 ft tree.
That buck needs to be shot. I had a buck do this to one of my apple trees a few years ago, of all the trees to rub he had to pick that apple tree & killed it. I hope he is dead.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I watched 6 bucks from the kitchen a couple weeks ago just after daybreak. The littlest rack was giving the business to a tubed 2 year old chestnut. He had the tube lifted a couple feet up before I decided to go out on the porch and chase him off. Scoundrel but that tree didn't fight back like the bigger ones would.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This just happened to one of my Dunstan Chestnuts this week as well. From the research I've done, the best thing that we can do is using a sharp knife try to clean the wound on the tree by simply removing any of the shavings that remained from where the buck damaged the bark. Clean the wound but don't go any deeper into the fleshy part of the tree. The tree should heal on it's own over time. I reinforced my steel fence cage with additional posts around the fence cage and am hopeful this will deter a buck from a repeat occurrence. I wish the deer could understand that I am actually trying to grow some of the chestnuts to help them with their nutrition....they just don't get it...ha ha

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome Jackson...Thanks for the advice,so far the suggestions I received are under coating and a product using OX Blood as a deterrent.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I wish the deer could understand that I am actually trying to grow some of the chestnuts to help them with their nutrition....they just don't get it...ha ha
This! Ha

I shot a buck last Thursday evening after he worked over one of my Dwarf Chinkapin Oak seedlings. I had a cage around the tree for protection, but when planting a food plot around it Labor Day weekend, my fence drag caught the bottom of the cage and pulled it off. The buck had the tree pulled all the way down until it was flat with ground while it was tangled in his horns. I tried to grunt at him to get him away from it to no avail....eventually he turned away from it made his way into a 20 yard shot.

Needless to say, that tree has a new cage around it with two stakes....

kswiggy - I hope your Dunstan recovers and continue to grow. Such are the growing pains of the habitat manager!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Congrats on the buck O. That almost sounds like you shot that buck out of self defense for the poor helpless tree. If he only would have picked on a hornbeam or beech, he might have survived! But when you mess with O's habitat trees, lookout! Lol

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Thanks D! Yeah he should have known better than to mess with a good habitat tree. I would have been OK if he was beating up on a dang ailanthus!!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Using any kind of pruning sealer is old school. It should heal up fine on its own. If you really feel inclined to do something, maybe give it some fertilizer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts