The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Looking to add a partner for my lab, and my 12yr old son is ready to have a hunting partner of his own. I know I'm looking forward to working with him on the dogs training. We are looking into a Chessie, does anyone know of any reputable breeders? Not afraid to travel for the right dog. Thanks guys, won't be long now.......Cut Em!!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know of a fellow who breed's them in Montana. I know you were talking about traveling, but I believe he will arrange transpo as well. He is very serious about his breeding and has been doing it for a long time. He will look into your home as well before he decides if he will sell you a pup as well and ask you to keep in contact w/ him as to how they are doing. His name is Tim and you can find him if you google stone broke kennels. You can tell him Tim from ND sent you.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Here you go! http://www.steenoutfitters.com out of Chesapeake Bay,Md. You can't go wrong with these dogs. Check them out! there in your back yard. They have been on Gun Dog Tv and are proven hunters. I think he has some puppies on the ground right now,but don't know if there all sold. Just a word of advice WATCH WHO YOU GET A CHESSIE FROM. I had 3 of them and 2 out of the 3 had bad temperments when they got older and when checked at age 2 they also had bad hips and couldn't get my money back for them. So I wound up having 3 dogs I couldn't do anything with. Alot of them are very dominant and don't get along with other dogs either. If he is going to be your sons dog you may want to think about it. They will even try to dominate you. Don't get me wrong they are great hunters and if you get one from the right breeder you'll love it. Get References!! JMO

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
I really considered getting a chessie after my labs had to be put down. However most of the chessies I have hunted with over the years seemed to have bad temperments. Some have bitten people and others were very agressive. One guy I know had to have his chessie put down due to agression. I decided that I didn't need another agressive dog. (My bloodhound was agressive and actually killed another dog.) So my wife and I decided to purchase another lab. I feel that chessies are probably the best waterfowling dog breed availble but the risks outweigh the benefits to me.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys,
Thanks for the input, I had heard about the temperment of some dogs as well. We will definetly research the breeder and get referneces. Another lab isn't out of the question either, my current lab is a smaller framed American lab and has trouble with larger geese. Great on ducks,doves,etc.. so I might be looking for an English lab breed with a larger frame/head. Thanks again
Jim

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would look up Pond Hollow Cheesecakes located just north of Harrisburg. Dyan Baldwin has been breeding Chessies for probable 20 years. She welcomes visitors if you want to check out her kennel.

http://www.pondhollowchesapeakes.com/

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
I know Diane and she has some nice dogs,but almost all her dogs are from show lines and not hunting lines. You can see that for yourself on her website. Look at her dogs names in the front if it starts with Ch that is a show dog. If it has the name and has Wd, Wdx, Jh,Sh,Mh or has *,**,*** the dog has field trials,hunt test titles. Concord kennels are the same way. The reason I know this is because I did alot of research when I got mine. Alot of Chessies have bad hips and are still being bred.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I have a Pond Hollow Chesapeake. She does do more show breeding but there is a ton of potential for a hunting prospects in just about all of her breedings. Don't just look at the dam and sires titles. You need to look back in the pedigree as well. If I had more time I would probably have at least his JH on him working on his SH. His name is Pond Hollow Susquehanna Shotgunner "Gunner".

·
Registered
52 Posts
My buddy has a two year old male from Pond Hollow and they just got the first junior AKC hunt test pass a couple of weekends ago down at Del Bay. Nice dog, high drive, pretty even temperment, no human aggression at all, very tolerant of other dogs outside of his personal space. He gets along famously with my lab when we're training together. Nice dogs IMO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I train with quehanna and like he says my dog Sam is just about the perfect dog for me, other than being a little headstrong at times, but what chessie can't be that way. I would like to add that yes Dyane does breed for show purposes but she also keeps the breed true to its standard by keeping the hunting desire. Now, my dogs sire is a MH and there are many other hunting titles in his bloodlines but almost all are also champion show dogs also.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
I wasn't bashing Diane's dogs. Like I said she has some great dogs. At the time I was getting a pup (13 yrs ago) she mainly had show dogs. Thats why I didn't get one of hers at the time. Good luck with the pup where ever you get it from and post some pics.

·
Registered
737 Posts
OK, here is an offer for you.... I have one of Nick Steen's pups from Thor. My pup is 6 months old. I live north of Reading and you can come see her anytime.

There might be pups on the ground now but I spoke to Nick yesterday and he is about to breed again. I have hunted with his dogs and they are tough and top notch. Thor is lean and strong. As far as aggressive... I have hunted with 3 chessies now and they have been VERY calm compared to my labs. I hunted with a 100+ lb male on several occasions and he was a big baby until it came time to hunt then he was an awesome duck dog that was tough as nails. Thor is the same way but a little smaller (85+ lbs)without an ounce of fat. My pup is the same build so far.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have two chessie's from Dyane and they are great dogs for duck hunting. No problems with temperment. Strong swimmers and love to retrieve.

If interested she will ask for a wish list of what your prefernces are..birdy, retrieving instincts,color, sex etc. She will test them as they grow and provide you one that meets your needs.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a Chessie from Dyane - 2 years old and an amazing goose dog. She absolutely hammers cripples. Her temperament is great and she gets along with other dogs. We just earned our Hunting Retriever title and hope to have a couple legs towards our next title this fall.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you are looking for someone who puts a good number of hunting titles on Chesapeakes check out Kathy Heintel of Treasure Lake Chesapeakes. She is a well know Chessie breader who also is a pro who specializes in training Chessies
Her web site: http://www.heintel.net/tlc/index.html

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guys, the responses are really appreciated. I am making plans with some of the breeders you listed to go visit. Thanks again

·
Registered
45 Posts
Redlabs and Skeller thanks for recomending me.
I do have some breedings lined up for my dogs this coming year. My female Gracie has 4 senior passes and picked up 2 before she was 2 years old. I also have handled her in Dog Shows, Derbies, and dock dogs. She also got to go on a commercial hunts last year. She just turned 2 at the end of April her hips are Good, Elbows normal and has eye CERF. Gracie is out on my Master Hunter male Thor.

Thor earned his first master pass at 2 years old and then finished his master title at 3 years old and passed 4 master test in a row. I have handled thor in all his hunt test, field Trials, dog shows, and dock dogs where he jumps pver 23 feet. Thor was also a finalist for the Maryland gund dog chanpionship and 2nd in the Delware Ducks Unlimited retriever challange, 3rd place in a chukar challange. He did all this before he turne 3 years old. Thor is 4 years old and has retrieved over 1000 birds and commercials hunts the chesapeake bay sometimes 6 days a week. Thor has been featured in Ducks Unlimited magazine, Gun Dog magazine, front page of baltimore sun, front page of crosswinds magazine, and on American Gun dog on the outdoor channel. I also had 2 more film crews hunt with me last year.

Both of my dogs temperments are really good. I just did a retriever demo for the ducks unlimited greenwings and had some of the kids running blinds with Thor. Some of the kids were under 10 years old.

Feel free to come down anytime and you can check out my dogs. I am running Gracie in a hunt test in Elkton this Sat. hopefully for her Senior Title. We skipped Junior that is why we need 5 seniro passes. If she had her Junior title she woudl have her Senior title.

Here is a link to the breeding with Gracie.
http://www.steenoutfitters.com/blogs/ind...1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
Links to my dogs.
http://www.steenoutfitters.com/dog.html

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here are some pics
Gracie and I running a senior

Thor

Thor and I

Thor holding steady. If you look in the water we shot a triple

Gracie.

Thor

thors bday party. All the dogs came over to my house for a swim. First time all these dgs were around each other. no problems.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts