The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of hot cherry peppers this year so I am thinking about making some stuffed ones(prosciutto and Provalone). I ate some at a bar last year and they were good..

I found some recipes but I have not found any that tell me how to get them to last more then a week.. I know they sell them in jars at the store so there should be a way to get them to keep..

I want to hand them out as gifts at Christmas.

so if anyone has any ideas how to get them to store. or any great recipe ideas I would like to hear them...

~Redsun

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Redsun said:
I have a lot of hot cherry peppers this year so I am thinking about making some stuffed ones(prosciutto and Provalone). I ate some at a bar last year and they were good..

I found some recipes but I have not found any that tell me how to get them to last more then a week.. I know they sell them in jars at the store so there should be a way to get them to keep..

I want to hand them out as gifts at Christmas.
so if anyone has any ideas how to get them to store. or any great recipe ideas I would like to hear them...

~Redsun
Redsun,

I've found most folks love Christmas Gifts that are like you want to do...Watch out, they may come to expect things like that in the future!

Like has already been mentioned, Olive Oil...your going to have to create a Vacum seal some how...not sure if Canning Methoid is the way to go to make the seal on the jar..You could try 1 jar and see if it works

·
Registered
71 Posts
You have to brine the peppers first, then pack in oil. No hot packing is necesary. Water, white vinegar and kosher salt is all that is needed for brine. Brine over night. stuff the next day, place in jar TIGHT, fill with oil (I use 1/2 olive and 1/2 veg.) OVER top of peppers. THey will stay fro a few years. DO NOT SEAL THE TOPS TIGHT. As the cheese ferments in teh oil, the gasses have to be allowed to escape.

·
Registered
71 Posts
As you core the peppers, place in large pot. Sprinkle generously with kosher slat. Make sure they are upright, so they get filled in with brine. When all peppers are in, fill pot (enough to cover peppers) with 1/2 and 1/2 water and white vinegar. make sure all peppers are under the surface. Use a weighted dinner plate to press them down if necessary. After 24 hours (roughly), they can be stuffed. You will see the color change, the skin will be "brighter" green, and they will be slightly softer so they won't split when you stuff them. The oil I use to pack them is La Spagnola. It is hard to find sometimes, but it is already 50/50 olive and veg.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts