The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure there are some folks wondering if the fires out west are close to where they have a hunt planned for this fall. Here are a couple of links that you can use to keep an eye on things. They provide locations, size, containment %, etc of current wildfires.

http://inciweb.org/ (this one has a lot detail)

http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/lg_fire2.php#

I attended a Div of Wildlife meeting in Colorado Springs last night and it was a sight I will never forget. All was fine there, as far as property damage goes, until evening when the wind direction changed and hit 65 mph and then things got crazy. The black smoke, soot, winds, haze and flames are hard to describe.

I live 30 miles south of the fire and our town has gotten 2 inches of rain all year. The reality is that there will be many more fires this year. We get late afternoon lighting storms with little to no rain which is the perfect recipe for more fires.

In the long haul, the fires will prove beneficial for wildlife. Unfortunately now is the time when fawns and calves are still young so no doubt there will be some mortality. Worse yet is the fact that many people have lost their homes and other valuables in these fires.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Re: Checking on western fires

Thanks for the information and stay safe out there!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are some pix I snapped with the cell phone as I was leaving Colorado Springs last evening. The fire is just starting to crest the hill in the background.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
PHA said:
In the long haul, the fires will prove beneficial for wildlife.
Hit it right on the head there. With all the beetle damage and blow downs, these fires will help a lot. Mother Nature just cleansing herself once again.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
I have an Uncle in Colorado Springs that had to evacuate because of the Waldo Canyon fire. Most of the Air Force Academy was evacuated as well.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
HammerDown15 said:
PHA said:
In the long haul, the fires will prove beneficial for wildlife.
Hit it right on the head there. With all the beetle damage and blow downs, these fires will help a lot. Mother Nature just cleansing herself once again.
But what is the answer to the beetle problem?

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
HammerDown15 said:
Apparently a good fire every 10-20yrs
Sorry, wish it was that easy. Basically, it a global warming argument. Milder, shorter winters have resulted in a lower beetle kill year to year resulting in a population explosion that is taking it's toll on the pines. Effecting grizzly bears too since the pine nut is a large source of their summer diet and caloric intake.

Keeping an eye on the fires as well since I am headed out that way in the fall. Colorado is a big state in relation to the size of the wildfires.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The beetle kill issue is very real out here. No doubt fire is the quickest way to wipe the slate clean and start anew.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Larry,

Thank you for the update and the websites. I believe you are absolutely correct - with the sparse rains - it's going to be nip and tuck out west this summer and fall.

Bob

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
TPlank said:
HammerDown15 said:
Apparently a good fire every 10-20yrs
Sorry, wish it was that easy. Basically, it a global warming argument. Milder, shorter winters have resulted in a lower beetle kill year to year resulting in a population explosion that is taking it's toll on the pines. Effecting grizzly bears too since the pine nut is a large source of their summer diet and caloric intake.

Keeping an eye on the fires as well since I am headed out that way in the fall. Colorado is a big state in relation to the size of the wildfires.
actually it is that easy. We are not arguing what is causing the beetle explosion, I am simply saying fire is natures way of restoring equilibrium.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
There are 2 Pennsylvania Initial Attack crews currently "deployed" to Colorado right now. I was supposed to be out there, but a job interview tomorrow put a hault to my trip outwest. 2 more crews go "on the board" (basically a list that lets the Feds know that PA has 2 more crews ready to go) next week. If they call up for more crews from Pa, i'll be out there!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Killintime:

I have a tremendous amount of respect for the men and women fighting the western fires. 16 hour days, 100 degree temps (not counting the elevated temps near the fire), steep and rough terrain plus high elevations. Top it off with the discomfort of body gear, weight of tools and the element of danger and it sounds like a job that Mike Rowe would feature on his show.

If you go, best of luck and thank you.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Killin'time said:
There are 2 Pennsylvania Initial Attack crews currently "deployed" to Colorado right now. I was supposed to be out there, but a job interview tomorrow put a hault to my trip outwest. 2 more crews go "on the board" (basically a list that lets the Feds know that PA has 2 more crews ready to go) next week. If they call up for more crews from Pa, i'll be out there!
Hey KT. Don't be doing no "shake and bake" if you get out there.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
The west is on fire and it isn't even August yet. Things could get a lot worse before hunting seasons begin.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Its getting very bad out here. Fontenelle Fire started Sunday afternoon, and is currently at 17000+ acres, and still 0% contained, unfortunately burning most of the areas I hunt. With the dry, hot spring mixed with the beetle kill, who knows how far it will go. May burn the entire Wyoming Range until it stops. Animals are on the run, as elk and bear have been spotted about 10 minutes from town. Some rain would be a godsend.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
matt75bronco said:
Its getting very bad out here. Fontenelle Fire started Sunday afternoon, and is currently at 17000+ acres, and still 0% contained, unfortunately burning most of the areas I hunt. With the dry, hot spring mixed with the beetle kill, who knows how far it will go. May burn the entire Wyoming Range until it stops. Animals are on the run, as elk and bear have been spotted about 10 minutes from town. Some rain would be a godsend.

Sorry to hear that. Prayers sent for some rain for you guys.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts