The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pulled up to one stop, we had 3 d/ps set on a great trail. we could see 2 coons in the traps. as we walked up one coon ran away. He wasn't caught, just hanging out. This was 4 in the afternoon.

Caught 1 that was rubbed let him go.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the difference? If you check before daylite, which I would be checking at 3am. You stand a chance of catching after you leave.

·
Registered
625 Posts
36 hour limit. I like to stay between 24 and 28hrs. I begin checking @ 415 am. A lot of animals move after that.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
I spooked a fox this fall...checking before bear hunting...had 2 sets of eyes and started over the hill...i was shocked when.1 ran away...thought it pulled out...a quick check and i realized it wasnt in a trap yet lol....just realllllly close to the other set..

·
Registered
170 Posts
I usually wait until after school to check k9 sets, because one time I had a fox run off and another time a possum walked off. I was happy about the possum though, lol.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
i ran coon all cat season. and over the years have noticed that coon move during the day alot in the winter. plus its breeding season. i was checking some beaver spots (none there
) but saw at least 5 sets of coon tracks deep in the snow meaning they were made when the snow was soft and not crusty. they arent dumb it alot easier to grub around for food when its 40 than 20.

·
Registered
18 Posts
4 in the afternoon is not that late, if your line is long. my day starts , after getting kids to school,first checks at 6:15am and usually checking last traps between 4-5pm. my line this year was 86mi one way. lot of miles between farms, and the time it takes to walk the land you can't drive on. if my job carries on into the season, then half the line before work and the rest after.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I check all my traps at 4 pm also on weekdays. Because of work i cant get out every morning. On the weekends i usually check about 7 am.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I check my traps every afternoon after work...if i work...if not I check them after my morning coffee.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts