The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

· Registered
421 Posts
I can't understand the amount of gun owners that don't understand the Constitution and the 2nd Amendment. The founders wrote many papers that explained the Constitution and the things that were in the Constitution. Technology has nothing to do with the philosophy of the 2nd Amendment. Read the Federalist Papers. I'll explain it to you real quick. The founders did not want the Government to have more fire power than the people. That is it plan and simple. They understood if the people couldn't defend themselves that the government would become to oppressive. Even if we converted all our AR's to full auto we would have one heck of a fight against the technology that the government can bring to the battle field. "It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Though out history powerfull governments have turned on their own people so don't say it can't happen here.

· Registered
9,880 Posts
Crossbows may soon become more popular for hunting (forced) then more would like to think. OK I am done..I can't dive further into this.

· Registered
421 Posts
RB-HPA said:
When those laws were written the gun of the civilians matched those of the military did they not?...now they don't and we are asking for too much?

My son is heckbent on heading into the military, he is 9, if I want him to be fantastic with a weapon similar to what he will use there to save his life and this country is that a bad thing? I am not a bad guy nor is he.
I think part of the reason our Marines and special forces are so much better than the fighters in these other countries is because they cut their teeth on these guns.
Kids learn things better than adults.

· Registered
251 Posts
hemicuda said:
I can't understand the amount of gun owners that don't understand the Constitution and the 2nd Amendment. The founders wrote many papers that explained the Constitution and the things that were in the Constitution. Technology has nothing to do with the philosophy of the 2nd Amendment. Read the Federalist Papers. I'll explain it to you real quick. The founders did not want the Government to have more fire power than the people. That is it plan and simple. They understood if the people couldn't defend themselves that the government would become to oppressive. Even if we converted all our AR's to full auto we would have one heck of a fight against the technology that the government can bring to the battle field. "It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Though out history powerfull governments have turned on their own people so don't say it can't happen here.
Finally someone understands it correctly! The second amendment was not written for hunters. The founders were over throwing the government and insisted on gun ownership as a necessary tool to keep the goverment in check and over throw them if needed.
In the 1700's it was black powder, in the the 1900's it was the bolt rifle and today it is the black rifles.

· Super Moderator
8,294 Posts
Squeaks said:
Personally, I see no reason for a person to own such a gun. You can say it's your right,but when those rights were written there were no such guns. Yes, it wasn't the guns fault, but isn't our job to protect those who cannot protect themselves?
Absolutely we need to protect those who can’t protect themselves. That is precisely why we need to have good people that are equipped with guns equal in firepower to those carried by the evil people that walk among us. It simply is not any particular type or style of guns or magazine capacities that is the problem; it is very simply and directly the society we now live in. Taking the ability of the good people to be adequately armed to do that protecting of the innocent is certainly not the correct answer.

I have just seem where some states are looking to start training and arming some of their teachers and administrators. I think that is the best possible direction we could be moving to prevent even more of these types of catastrophes.

Dick Bodenhorn

· Registered
185 Posts
Personally, I see no reason for a person to own such a gun. You can say it's your right,but when those rights were written there were no such guns. Yes, it wasn't the guns fault, but isn't our job to protect those who cannot protect themselves?
Back in the day, Ben Franklin could print out, at best, a few dozen handbills per day on his hand operated printing press. They were then distributed hand-to-hand and, to outlying areas, by horseback and stage.

Do you believe that today, with the ability to electronically distribute published material to billions of people almost instantly using electronic media, we also have a need to limit free speech and the rights of the press? How do you think the media would reply to that thesis?

The truth of the matter is "everything is relative".

Hemicuda is correct, the Founding Fathers were brilliant men with great foresight. That's why they wrote we have the right to bear arms, not the right to bear flintlock muskets.

· Registered
5,564 Posts
I was in a gun shop today and they sold 9 ar's in one day. Dang, for some reason i just want to have one far from my rem 700's. Went to another he was cleaned out has 2 smith and wessons coming in and few olympias coming on same order. i put adeposit on one of the smiths. They say thay are fun i will find out. Guess im going to own one before there all gone.

· Registered
637 Posts
Squeaks said:
I keep hearing this rediculus argument. As intelligent and insightful as our founding fathers were, don't you think they kind of suspected there would be advances in technogy in the next 200 years, just as there had been in the previous 200 years? What they were refering to was the standard of the day. The day has changed, the standard has changed, but the intent has not.

· Registered
46 Posts
IMO, guns are not the problem, never have been. You can take all the guns off the shelves and people who want or need a gun will find a way to get one. What we need is more education, which will allow for more people to know what to look for.

· Registered
204 Posts
>It has been reported that Dunhams removed guns for sale as well.

False. I googled and found nothing about Dunham's halting gun sales so I stopped by my local Dunham's on the way home. They were down to one AR and one AK variation but everything was normal. Wal-mart was out of AR's but they only had one left last nite.

WV Gino

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.