The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Looking for advice on what cheap slugs I can use in my HSH 20 ga , that won't foul up my barrel too bad for initial sighting in ?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Second the buckhammers. I used them for sighting in and killing deer. Best slug I have found for actually killing deer and not crippling them.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Buchhammers here too. Can be found pretty much anywhere and put a hurtin on deer.
Had to switch because the Hastings slugs I was shooting went out of business. Buckhammers were basically the same slug/wad concept.
Switched, sighted in, same POI.
Now they make Hastings slugs again
Probably going to stay with the hammers around $7 a box.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Use the yellow/green remingtons, for sighting in very reasonably priced.

Then try something else after it is shooting.
You will probably be surprised that the Remington Sluggers (actually a Foster type Slug) might just shoot better than the Buskhammers.
In my 20 ga H&R with 2x scope smoothbore, the Remington Foster slugs shoot almost half as large a group as the Buckhammers or Sabot shells.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Wal-Mart sell the Fosters in 20 gauge for about $3.59 for 5 Fosters. I even got a multipack their about 25 slugs and that made it even cheaper yet for 5 Foster. Make sense to hit the target with something first then you can use the more expensive slugs. I will have to try the Buckhammers but only after I shoot in near bullseye with the cheaper Fosters.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
I did pickup a Multi pack of 15 each 20 gauge Fosters slugs at Wal-Mart...$8.49 for 15 Fosters purchased this way...Figure I might take the 20 gauge slug gun for a walk one of the 2010 deer days...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Heck, I always carry a few cheapies with me when I'm hunting to use as finishers. No sense in wasting a $4.00 winchester partition gold on something 3/4 dead already.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
If it is a rifled barrel i do not suggest using forster type lead slugs through it. Stick to saboted rounds, and figure out what u want to try and go from there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts