The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who has the cheap shells this year - prices on core lokt for the 'standard' calibers seems to be about $15 - on sale - then you take a rebate.

when shot prices went through the roof, these stayed pretty low - is this a big jump from last year?

I like these to shoot and practice, then usually finalize adjustments with a premium load of some sort. These work fine too, just prefer spending the money.

Anyone got better deals?

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
I use the Federal Power-shok shells. They are right around 14 or 15 a box normal price at walmart.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I've been using "plain old core-locts" for a long time. Last year I decided to try something different; I bought a box of Hornadys and used them. You know what? They didn't shoot any more accurately, and the deer weren't any deader than before. Back to Remington for me.

·
Administrator
39,022 Posts
quackmaster4 said:
I've been using "plain old core-locts" for a long time. Last year I decided to try something different; I bought a box of Hornadys and used them. You know what? They didn't shoot any more accurately, and the deer weren't any deader than before. Back to Remington for me.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Stogey said:
I use the Federal Power-shok shells. They are right around 14 or 15 a box normal price at walmart.
I use the same thing. They were 12$ a box for 150 grain 30-06 at our local Walmart. They have always flew great for me.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Originally Posted By: quackmaster4I've been using "plain old core-locts" for a long time. Last year I decided to try something different; I bought a box of Hornadys and used them. You know what? They didn't shoot any more accurately, and the deer weren't any deader than before. Back to Remington for me.

Try having a Rifle that only likes certain ammo to eat!

I USED to use, (Key words USED TOO) Federal 70 grn ballistic tips out of my 243, Until Federal hiked the prices sky high....Dang near 40 bucks a box Everywhere I've looked at them!

Hornady works just as good if not better then the Federals...

IF my 243 would eat Remington Ammo and Spit them out in NICE GROUPS instead of throwing them all over the place, I'd use the $15.00 box of Remington ammo...but my rifle doesn't like any remington ammo I've shot thru it and only seems to hold nice groups with Federal, Hornady and Winchester....I had a Bad Experiance with Winchester Silver tiped ballistic tips and have stayed away from them since then and stuck with hornady and Federal...now it is just hornady and if their prices go thru the roof like Federal did, I may just have to look for another Rifle that will eat Remington Ammo and Spit it out in Nice Groups!

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
Bought two boxes of 150gr 30-06 Core Lokts at Gander Mtn. last month. With the Rem rebate and GM rebate, final cost was $10.98 per box. That was the cheapest price I've seen so far this year.

My farmboy cousin who looks after my camp loves 'em, so that's what he gets each year. And yeah, I spend a bit more money than that on him for his efforts.

I'm squeaky but I ain't that cheap.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
That would make it tougher Woody. I'm picky about accuracy, so I wouldn't use anything that didn't shoot great. I'm lucky in that the core-locts shoot so good in my model 70.

·
Administrator
39,022 Posts
The core-lokts have shot great out of every gun i've ever owned.The only time i haven't shot them is when i used to reload.I used hornady bullets then with different powders.The core-lokts have always done well for me!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Using cheap shells to sight in a gun and then using premium shells for hunting is a oxymoron.
Would be like wearing your socks on the outside of your shoes - so you don't get your shoes dirty.

If a gun has been used, and you used it, and it has a good scope and good mounts and you did not fall or drop it, the scope should not move it's point of aim from one year to the next.

I have my dad's Remington Gamemaster 760 - 30-06 with 3x9 Redfield Widefield Lo Pro scope and it has not moved one Iota in 20 years.

The only thing you might want to do is shoot one or two shells through the barrel to get the barrel dirty so the gun will be more accurate with the first bullet that comes out of it in deer season.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Big Elk Hunter said:
I would be looking for a better scope or better mounts or a gunsmith to find out why your rifle does not hold it's accuracy - but my guess is that you have a Remington Model 710 or 770 = because it was the cheapest gun that you could get - and now you can't figure out why it is not accurate.
really? you can get all that from my post? you're real good - maybe I have a new scope, maybe I have 5 guns with 5 new scopes. Maybe, I'm setting up extra rigs for kids. In any case, you're wrong. In fact, I just sold one of your setup the other day. I still got the redfield.

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
Let's all take a deep breath and start over.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the basis of the opening post is what folks are using for cheap ammo, FOR WHATEVER REASON, and where they are buying it. whether one can afford it or not, some do not like throwing $2 or more a shot away for very long at the range even though that may be the preferred hunting load.

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
You are correct and the caliber of firearm comes into play.Cheap ammo is only available for the most common calibers.I have harvested my share of deer with cheap ammo.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
As mainly a reloader I still use cheaper bullets when hunting deer. The cost difference between premium and "cheap" bullets isn't that much per shot when you reload.

I have found in case of dee that they don't die any fast or slower tham with a premium style bullet. Deer aren't very hard to kill if shot currectly.

I mainly use use Sierra gamekings. They work very well for me in standard calibers. Now if I felt the need to burn lots of powder (magnum) I would step it up a bit. Even then I normally use a heavier bullet than what I would normally use.

I used to have a 300WSM. I could have went with a premium 150 grain bullet, but I chose a cheaper 180 grain bullet. In that case I shot 180 grain winchester power points. The only deer I shot with them had vaporized inerds.

The whole idea of premium bullets is to have it stay together or have a controled expansion. Again, deer aren't very big animals. If you were to hunt with a 22-250 or something similar a premium bullet may be wise.

My 243 with 100 grain Seirra gamekings have been sudden death to many whitetails over the years. They are along the same bullet construction as a corlokt, power point, power shocks, etc...

If the cheap green box remingtons shoot good out of you gun than buy all means hunt with them. It's one of the few loads that will shoot out my 270.

If it gives you a nice fuzzy feeling spending far more than that to hunt deer by all means have at it.

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
Killed quite a few deer over the years with 150gr Speer Hot Cor bullets, in both 30-06 and 8x57. Loaded dozens and dozens of 'em for my cousin's 30-06. No complaints and he killed far more deer with those bullets than I did.

They are one of the least expensive "name" bullets on the market, for big game.

·
Registered
335 Posts
A couple of years ago, I bought several boxes of Federal Power Shocks 130 gr for my Browing A Bolt - 270 WSM, and I can attest to the fact that they are deadly on whitetail deer.

As a matter of fact, when they went on sale, I bought 3 more boxes. Probably a lifetime supply the way that gun shoots.

Hunt/Fish 365 - did you buy those component Winchester bullets ( say maybe at Grices when they had them on sale a couple of years ago for $9.99 a bag?) or were those factory loads that you were shooting?

That was one of those deals for me where if I would have known that those bag bullets were so good, I would have bought a couple thousand of them at that price.
I think I bought 200 of the .277 (130 gr) and 200 of the 30 caliber (150 gr) and wished that I would have bought several more bags. Would have been a lifetime supply.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts