The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have shot muzzleloaders in the past, friends guns.
Have always wanted to get into it, but just didn't have the time or dollars.

Is there anyone here who has and shoots a cheap gun? Bass Pro, Cabelas and others have entry level guns for less than $200. I know the groceries would put the tag well over $200 to start, and I have heard the guns in this low price range are not the best. But I have hunted with Western Field shotguns and rifles for years, and my grandfather bought them at Sears and the local 5 and dime decades ago. Cheap can be fairly useful and get the job done, for years.
Put it this way, all of the guns in my family are of the low price variety.

Who uses them?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
You can get a used CVA percussion Bobcat in 50 cal for around $125 to 150 plus shipping on the on-line auctions. Pretty fair for the money. Many used in lines run in the same or slightly less range. If you want a flint, then the price of a reliable flint lock drives the price up.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Wow I got the wolf 2 years ago for $109 with a starter kit. Never used the sabots. I used the powerbelts as was recommeded at at 50 yds I got 1 in groups with 2 pills. Only 50 yds for me cause i hunt close and personal in the thickets. If you dont think this is a good weapon look at how much the price went up. SALES

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a TC Hawkins 50 cal percussion rifle I might sell. I took it in on trade for one of my dogs and I don't hunt with blackpowder.It is in good condition.New I was told it sells for around 600.00 . Don't know what they are worth used.If interested call 814-560-3025

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
I used a CVA Buckhorn for 2 years and killed 2 deer with it. It cost me $99 for the rifle and I put a Tasco 3x9 on top. I decided to upgrade to an Omega, but that was just because I wanted to. The deer I killed with it had no idea they got killed with a cheap gun. I do believe in buying quality stuff when I have the money, but "making do" is just fine when you have to. Muzzleloaders are fairly simple guns as far as moving parts.

·
Registered
432 Posts
depending on where you live, I know where there are 2 CVA Bobcat percussion sidelock muzzys for under $100. They are good guns, open sights. As long as I pull the trigger and it goes BANG and I see a big cloud of smoke engulfing me, im happy with that muzzleloader!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought a CVA firebolt package deal from cabelas a couple years ago under 200 bucks and that gun has out shot Thompson Center's that cost 3 times as much money. All CVA's come with Bergara barrels and they are awesome. I just ordered a CVA wolf package for $279 through Bass Pro, can't wait.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
good ole boy said:
If you want a flinty.The cheapest one I have seen is the Traitions DeerHunter in Wal-Marts.

+ 1
good affordable gun

I have 2 of the Traditions Deerhunter that I bought at Bowmans in Patton before the fire. I like them, had a problem with one's barrel and lock, sent it back to Traditions and they sent me a new rifle no questions ask. I think I had just around $200 in each but as you said the accessories will cost around another $100 depending on what you buy.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Traditions tracker. you can get them for around $150. i have 1 and it shoots fine. it doesnt have all the bells and whistles but its a basic inline

·
Banned
6,618 Posts
I will second (or third) the Wolf. In 2007, I bought two, one for me and one for my VA landowner. He loves his so much that he has retired all of his other deer guns, and uses the Wolf exclusively for all deer seasons. Great little tack driver for a steal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts