The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cheap Guns Are Good Enough

This is a really good article from one of the best.
Now I do believe you need a gun that won't fall apart, but I really like this read. If you get the chance to watch some of his training videos, theyre great as well.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The guns he refered to really aren't what I would call "cheap" guns", they were just less expensive than his custom guns. Of course in the situation he described, any gun is better than no gun but if my life might depend on a gun I will not buy junk, which is what I consider a "cheap gun. I don't consider a Ruger a "cheap" gun and you can bet Masaad Ayoob wuld not be carrying a pot metal gun for self defense.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I guess cheap cars, cheap guns, and cheap tools all serve a purpose; so I didn't see anything new or interesting in the ramble. I'd like the address where I can buy a Ruger Mini-14 .223 for a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Sooooo he didnt really say much in that rant other than factory guns work? I really dont consider rugers as a cheap gun I guess the rems, savages, winchesters, howa's and all the other factory none custome guns fall into the cheap gun category because he doesnt compare anything factual and uses very little to back up his opinion...

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The test of a "cheap gun" would be to take it to the range and shoot several hundred rounds of ammo through it along side a brand name gun and see which one breaks down. A cheap pot metal revolver next to a S&W, Colt or Ruger, head to head. To be fair, the cheap gun reference I believe was to the peice of crap the woman defended herself with. Ayoob is and excellant marksman, and he has been in firefights as a police officer, and I wouldn't hesitate to use him as an instructor in matters of self defense with a firearm, but he does tend to talk about Ayoob a lot in his articles

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John S said:
the cheap gun reference I believe was to the peice of crap the woman defended herself with.
The point I believe he was trying to make was exactly that and it doesnt take a top of the line gun to defend oneself in a serious time of need.

Rugers in the day were and still considered by many are cheap guns, kind of along the lines of what some feel Taurus is.
I paid $200 for my Ruger P89DC brand new (my first handgun when I turned 21)and was told by many that I was crazy and Rugers are junk.
Mini 14's can be bought for around $500 especially 10 years ago

John I believe you said it in a previous response and was acually my point of posting the article, a cheap gun is better than no gun.

Didnt really post this for an argument, just something to think about when someone calls your handgun cheap or junk,
It can still save your life

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
The correct word for Ruger would be "inexpensive"...The word "cheap" conjures up thoughts of junky , second rate, and "prone to failure"......This seems to be where the conflict is coming from in this thread.

·
Registered
25,518 Posts
I'm old enough to remember when anything with the name Ruger on it, was considered to be a cheap gun.

When they came out with their original 22 pistol, which somewhat resembled the Luger, many though "Ruger" was just a chintzy play on the name Luger, for example.

Time has proven the nay-sayers wrong, in that regard, but there are still many that consider Rugers to be second-rate, for a variety of reasons.

Anyone else recall the fuss, when the M77 came out, because of Ruger's "Investment Casting" of parts? Many did not comprehend the process, some still refer to them as "cast junk".

To the article: There are many inexpensive alternatives to the most expensive handguns. Any handgun that is reliable, is generally "good enough" for the purpose of self defense.

And yes, Ayoob is very fond of himself and his opinions and always has been. Know some folks that have met and talked with him and while they expressed some appreciation of his "work", they also noted that he ain't too bashful about self promotion.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I will take my "cheap" Rugers any day of the week. The Blackhawks will last longer than any Colt or S&W.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
After so thought on this Ayoob used used alot of words to get to make his point and to me it may just seem like common sense. I would assume the 99% of new hand guns regardless of brand would work in a defense situation.

So I guess I had different expectations of what the artical would touch on. Oh well.

Lifes2Fun didnt want to debate just my thoughts on it. Ayoob could probably tell some stories around the campfire im sure.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
big cow down 80 said:
i'll stick to expensive guns and cheap woman
I prefer them free. Well, I guess I still pay more mine every day. Sorry, got side tracked.

As I read the article I found myself just not liking the guy that wrote it. I have known many people over the years that seamed to have that matter of fact attitude.

As far as "cheap" guns go there have been many over the years that would have been concidered cheap by most standards. Back in the day many people carried Winchester 30-30's as it was one of the cheapest repeating deer rifles you could buy (not counting military surplus). The are not junk by any means. Just less expensive.

I have a NEF 22 revolver that I would consider cheap. It still looks just as good as the day I bought it, but with the cheap pot metal internals after about 2000 shot's it is now dead. Just don't know what to do with it as I can't find anybody that can fix it.

Last year I decided I wanted a 357, and really wanted a S&W 686. After seeing a price I could not pay I bought a Ruger. It shoots great. The only thing I can notice is the finish is no where near the quality of the S&W. It shoots jut fine for a few hundred bucks less. Some would consider that "cheap".

·
Registered
889 Posts
I am sure there is something to his points.

I know when I first graduated from High School I had a 2 wheel drive S-10 pickup with no AC and a 5-speed. I hauled and sold an incredible amount of firewood with that truck. Then 25 years later I bought an F-250 X-tend cab Turbo Diesel with an automatic transmission. And ever hauled the first load of firewod in that truck. But I sure did pull my fishing boat and camper around with it. Get my point?? Tom.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Rugers used to be cheap. Don't remember the year but I bought a new Ruger Bearcat at Troxells in Williamsport, PA, plus a box of 22 shells for $39.76 including tax. That was a deal!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts