The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, here is the deal.......I am looking for a cheap bolt gun as a total beater gun.........one I can cram behind the truck seat, and take in a canoe and not be too upset if it goes in the drink.........it will be tied off, just not crazy about dumping any of my good guns in the river......

I have little experience with cheaper guns..............I would like to stay around $300 + or - $50 and I would prefer a 30-06 or .300 Win Mag

Here are the options I have come up with:

Maverick by Mossberg 30-06
Marlin Xs7 30-06
Savage Edge 30-06
Used Savage 11 30-06
Remington 770 30-06 or 300 Win Mag

Thats about all I can come up with.......let me know which one you guys would go with, and why......

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was also considering the stevens 200 in 30-06 or 300 Win

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I just got a Marlin, feels superior to the others, haven't fired it yet, perhaps today.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I'm votin' for the Savage Edge...accuracy is outstanding..now if I could only get the clip out it would be the perfect rifle...$299 with scope and mounts/base..hard to beat that.

·
Registered
12,087 Posts
My Dad and uncles always kept an old military surp bolt actions as "trunk guns" Mine is a 303 enfield that I swapped a step ladder for. Shoots a 3 inch group at 100 yds, killed quite a few vermin and chucks. Ammo is cheap. If it gets banged up, who cares?

·
Registered
452 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Stevens 200 or Marlin XL7. I have both and they are outstanding rifles for the money. With handloads, my .243 Marlin will shot 5 shot 1/4" groups. My .223 Stevens the same, and in .308 about 1/2". can't beat that for $300.00 guns.

·
Registered
706 Posts
About the one I'd go with would be a used Savage 11.

I'd vote for a Remington 700 ADL, or used Ruger 77 to beat the crap out of.

Any reason a shotgun would be out of the question? It seems you want it for in the boat, and unless you plan on deer hunting out a canoe, I can't see where a shotgun wouldn't fill your needs.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd vote for a Remington 700 ADL, or used Ruger 77 to beat the crap out of.
If I could find a beat up Ruger in that price range I would be all over it, I am a Ruger guy to begin with......but I dont see it happening

·
Registered
406 Posts
if you want a truly cheap bolt gun for a beater, pick up a 91/30 mosin nagant. they can be had for around 60 bucks if you're patient, shoot surprisingly well, and can double as a war club or pry lever should the need arrise. throw on top of that cheap surplus ammo for practice, and ballistics between a308 and 30-06 and its hard to beat for the money (or lack of money).

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
mosin M44 or M38, as they are carbines. basically designed to be abused. The M44 could also finish your deer wthout another round , just unfold the sticker. drop it in the swamp, rinse it in the creek, ready to go. just remember the sights are in meters not yards

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I would have to agree with the shotgun statement.

I bought what is now a $300 Mossberg 500 combo 10+ years ago. Shoots great with slugs, and the field barrels can be put on in less than 5 minutes.

It's a true beater at this point. It started as a small bruise on the pump from a mishap at a range. Then the wood turned a milky white where you hold it. I dropped it on the road coyote hunting one night when the cheap sling I had broke. Now it has a fiber optic front sight since the original broke.

I've got 3 barrels for it now. The field barrel, the rifled cantilevered slug barrel, and the rifled open sighted barrel.

Last year I shot a nice doe at 102 yards with that thing. Forgot I was even using a shotgun when they popped out in the woods.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts