The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chase Utley, whose 13-year career with the Philadelphia Phillies included five All-Star appearances and the club's first World Series championship since 1980, agreed to a trade to the Los Angeles Dodgers, according to a baseball official with direct knowledge of the deal.

The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because the trade has been agreed upon, but not finalized. The Phillies will receive a pair of mid-level prospects from the Dodgers, who will also receive $2 million to help offset the remainder of the $15 million Utley is paid this season.

MLB.com first reported that the Dodgers and Phillies were nearing a deal involving Utley.

Utley, 36, approved the trade to his native Southern California and had the right to veto any deal because he's spent more than 10 years with the Phillies. He will provide an immediate option at second base while incumbent Howie Kendrick recovers from a left hamstring injury. Utley will also reunite with shortstop Jimmy Rollins, his double-play partner for 11 seasons before the Phillies traded Rollins to the Dodgers in December.

The trade leaves only first baseman Ryan Howard and catcher Carlos Ruiz from the core that won consecutive National League pennants in 2008-2009. Utley, who can be a free agent after this season, is batting a career-low .217. Last month, 2008 World Series MVP Cole Hamels was dealt to the Texas Rangers.

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
Just goes to show how honest the Phillies front office is. As late as 2PM KYW was saying he would be on the team till atleast the end of the season.
He will be back as a coach some day with the Phillies organization.

·
Registered
39,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know about coaching. He doesn't impress me as a person with good communication skills.

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
Never thought of Mike Schmidt was the great communicator but he gets by

·
Registered
39,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like Utley but he makes Harpo Marx look like a great communicator.

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
1 point for dc

·
Registered
39,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, after the Phiilies win, Chase Utley went onto the field in his uniform to congratulate his teammates on the win. Fans applauded him and he tipped his hat to them. I'd say that's a good sign it's a done deal.

Btw, he didn't play tonight. Another sign.

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
Official.......a LA Dodger

·
Registered
39,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Howard is next to impossible to trade due to his ridiculous contract. Plus, he's just not that good. He can't hit lefties and is not a good fielder. His average vs lefties is around .140.

Ruiz, maybe, he is signed thru 2016 with a option for 2017.

·
Registered
39,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Problem is, aside from salary, he can't hit lefties. That means he'd be a DH vs righties only. I don't know if there is a team that can afford a roster spot for such a limited player. I wish there was a team that would take him but, at this point, I doubt it. I think the Phillies would give him away and eat a big portion of salary if there was a taker.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
jimsdad said:
...Maybe the AL as a DH for 2 years of so.
He needs to start hitting for someone to want him. .262 against righties and .136 against lefties isn't a great set of numbers for a DH to be coveted.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
If the Phillies had kept the players they let go in the past six years they could be world series contenders this year....Werth, Pence, flying Hawaiian,Rollins, the left fielder that went with the Yankees,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts