The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just was given a Charles Daly .50 muzzleloader. I have absolutely NO knowledge of these guns. It was only fired a few times and the cell phone pics show it is in mint condition. Does anyone have an idea of what this gun is worth. He is not looking to sell it, but rather just curious. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,974 Posts
I can't tellyou what it is worth.BUT I can tell you that I own one and it shoots lights out with round balls.It is not fond of conicals.The gun also has super reliable ignition.IMHO,GOOD FIND.
JIM

·
Registered
12,528 Posts
Charles Daley makes/contracts for manufacture of various types of guns. They currently sell a scaled down sharps rifle which some folks really like.

·
Registered
12,528 Posts
Charles Daley makes/contracts for manufacture of various types of guns. They currently sell a scaled down sharps rifle which some folks really like.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i know where i can get one for $165 and have been debating if i should get it or not because i cant find any info on them.

·
Premium Member
4,974 Posts
I would buy it.I had a TC Hawken and I traded it,then I took this in trade and Honestly it shoots every bit as good as the TC.Very accurate and very reliable,jm2cents
Jim

·
Registered
12,528 Posts
Ok, there is nothing like a well made "custom gun" it is like riding in a Rolls royce. However, just because a gun is "custom" doesn't mean it is a good shooter. A person can take excellent and very expensive parts and still turn out a POS. I recently saw a custom gun that had the touch hole vent drilled a good 1/4 inch out of place. In addition the lock wasn't fully inlet to set tight against the barrel flat. Pretty gun with inlays and fancy patchbox.

Some of my shooters are rescues from bubba land that I have never finished. A little tweak here and there and the gun is still ugly, but some times shoots great. That goes for production and custom guns.

Very few production guns offerred tapered or swamped barrels. I have a 50 cal flint long rifle that is amazingly light annd well balanced. Not front heavy at all. Total weight is less than most production guns. There are things that can be done to production guns to improve them. Custom guns can be made to better fit the shooter. better drop, pull and cast off. But not every maker understands how to fit a gun to the prospective owner. Production guns are made with two considerations. (1) the cost of the wood and (2) what will fit the average guy. If you go to a custom maker, the piece of wood is an expensive item already. Generally made without regard to when and where the manufacturer can shave a few cents off the cost of the wood by going smaller or shorter. Most taller individuals thhat I know will tell you that a Lyman GPR seems to fit them better than a TC. I agree with them, although when I compare them side to side the pull appears to be the same. Probably a little more cast off and drop.

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
I can fully understand how a custom gun can be 10 times better than a production gun as you explained it.Especially if they make the rifle to fit you as you explained.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Charles Daly has ever manufactured a single firearm. Charles Daly is a trade name. The exact same thing as Kenmore is to Sears.

The Charles Daly trade name has been owned by several entities over the years. And Charles Daly has sold a bunch of different MZ's from a few different mfrs. as well as bought a few different MZ's from different importers. So your question can not be answered without knowing exactly which one you have.

At one time they imported a fantastic reproduction of the Hawken rifle(I have one). If it is one of them then it could be a great find. But CD also imported a bunch of Spanish made CVA's that were junk. So it really depends on which one you are talking about. Without pictures your question is impossible to answer. Just be careful. there are a bunch of dudd CD MZ's out here. But there also some fantastic CD MZ's out there. Tom.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts