The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading up camp this weekend with family. Wanted to slow cook a nice hunk of meat over the charcoal weber. Was looking for a good selection of meat(beef) for this process(shoulder, butt, etc). If you have any recommendations for a good dry rub, seasoning, or marinade, it would be even better. Thankx in advance and looking forward to hearing them!!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i do pork shoulders or fresh picnic hams. i take and poke a bunch of holes all through it with a sharp knife and fill the holes with garlic cloves. then i make a rub with equal parts garlic powder, cumin, paprika, black pepper, dried mustard, salt and onion powder. then i take the total amount of spices and add an equal amount of brown sugar to double it. rub that on and put the charcoal and wood over towards the side with the meat on the other side right under the outlet vent. you want the temp to be between 250 and 300 degrees for about 6-8 hours. then i take it off the smoker, smear it with bbq sauce and wrap it in aluminum foil and put it in the oven for a few more hours until it is falling off the bone. for the bbq sauce i use equal amounts cider vinegar and heinz ketchup and then several tablespoons of rub and enough worcestershire sauce to darken it up. if you want it spicy use some red pepper in the sauce or rub. you could even use some chili powder to give it a bit of a bite. i'm doing one on saturday just like that.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Get yourself a smokenator and read this website: http://www.amazingribs.com.

If you can't get the smokenator in time, use a two zone setup, mix up some of the Memphis Dust rub listed on the website, and follow the instructions for whatever type of meat you're preparing. I've done pork butt, brisket, St. Louis ribs, stuffed pork loin, and steakhouse burgers using the methods given and most have turned out beyond my expectations.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
on the smaller side, pork loins grill over charcoal very nicely and don't take as long. I rub mine down with olive oil to seal in moisture, and dry rub one with bb-q seasoning, and the other with steak seasoning. I get the coals very hot and then push them more to one side and use the other side so the meat doesn't burn. Get the lid on and smoke it, turning it a few times in an hour. Delicious.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I like to do prime rib. I keep the coals off to the side and cook at 250-300 for about 10-15 minutes per pound. I take it off when the middle is 120-125 degrees

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thankx guyz...those sound great...Now that im thinking about it more, I probably dont have time to slow cook(6-8 hrs).. Looking more to cook a hunk of meat on the charcoal grill for 2-3 hours(time restraints)..Which is more preferable, beef shoulder or butt???

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
Better do hamburgers. Ya can't rush the meat its done when its done.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Totally agree Tater... I already have whole chickens and ribs ready to go..I was lookin for some beef cuts to go along with.. i do have some deer steaks I can use..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts