The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Do you ever make home made mushroom soup with mixed wild mushrooms? If not, you should give it a try.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John S... No I havn't but that's the best idea I've heard in awhile.

I made numerous white sauces with them that are just unbelievable as to how rich they are in mushroom flavor.

I assume you mean a cream based wild mushroom soup and I am working on a list of ingredients as I type, but I am open to any of your suggestions.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Here is how I make mine.

Mushrooms of your choice cleaned and sliced
finely diced onion or shallot
fresh or dried thyme
salt
pepper
flour
low salt chicken stock
butter
heavy cream(optional)

Saute mushrooms and onion or shallot, salt and pepper to taste in butter at medium low heat till soft, add the leaves from a sprig of fresh thyme or 1/8 tsp dried thyme cook 2 or three more minutes.

Add several tablespoons of flour, if pan is too dry, add more butter, (the amount of flour and butter will depend on how thick you want the soup.) Cook flour, mushrooms and onions and thyme for a minimum of three minutes mixing well while cooking. Turn up heat to medium and add the chicken stock whisking or stirring quickly to the pot to mix together well and avoid lumps. When smooth turn heat down to low or just to simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. If you want to add cream take soup off heat and let stand for a few minutes, then add a few spoons of the soup to a 1/2 cup heavy cream to temper cream, then add cream and soup back into pot and stir to incorporate. Serve and watch the smiles.

I didn't include amounts because I don't measure, I have been making this for a ong time and it all depends on how many people I am feeding but if you cook you know what I mean and you at least have the ingredients..

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks John S. thats along the lines I was thinking of making mushroom soup, all but the Chicken stock since I am one of the unlucky few that is allergic to Chicken but I am sure I can get some great mushroom broth rendered down from the tougher stems removed from some of the Hens (Sheephead).

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ray2310 said:
Ripnmax, i been looking for trumpets but no luck. Any advice?
Moss and water run off/wash areas I walked up a mossy trail yesterday on a hunch and there was Trumpets as far as I could see, probally close to 150-200 yards of Trumpets six foot wide.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John S said:
Do you ever make home made mushroom soup with mixed wild mushrooms? If not, you should give it a try.
My first attempt at wild mushroom soup....nothing fancy but ain't bad either for a place to start.

Chanterelles, Trumpets, Hens/Sheephead/Maitake
the suttle heat from the trumpets adds a nice warm wintery flavor

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Either one works, I think flour will give a richer flavor because you use it in the beginning or middle of a dish and generally use cornstarch at the end of cooking, but I use cornstarch to thicken at the end if I think a sauce should be thicker.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts