The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this email today:

Dear Erik,

The PGC Commissioners have proposed putting an age restriction (9) on the highly popular Mentored Youth Hunting Program for deer, bear and turkey hunting. Their reasons are based on antidotal concerns about poaching and safety issues.

PFSC is opposed to this proposed change. There is no correlating data to substantiate their claims. We believe the parent/mentor and child should make the decision when the child is ready to participate in a hunt.

If there are
violations
occurring within this program, they should be handled like any other game law violation, and not penalize an entire program for what appears to be mostly imaginary worries of a few bad apples. The positive results from the program and the gains in youth hunters far outweigh any
perceived
negative issues or complaints from anti-hunters.

What do you think? Let us know, and send your comments to the commissioners:

[email protected]

Email them your comments!

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Big issue, One in General will last another day, maybe two.

Won't hurt to have another thread in this forum that will last far longer.

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
A recent action by the Governor may turn this issue upside down. My respect for what is going on at Elmerten is ebbing by the hour.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
jwd canon 40D said:
bear is not one of the species that a mentored youth can hunt.
I see no reason why bear shouldn't be included someday...if the tag is transferred to help insure the experience is honestly done for the kid.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
As far as I know there hasn't been any safety issues with the MY program so why make the change? did I miss something?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts