The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize it's probably an old topic but.... we were looking for a change up lure for dirthole sets for K-9's. What do you folks think of mink gland lure in the hole and fox urine on the backing???? Maybe just just mink lure in the hole and no urine...??? Would you try this on a "wildcat" property or someplace you have a track record at? We always (for the most part) make double sets at any given location....figure a "normal" dirthole or post, etc. at the second set. My son and I are always experimenting with something different. We don't catch high numbers but boy do we get a kick out of every mornings check.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
a friend of mine who is a lure maker from vermont, told me he knows several guys who use veinna sausage or half cook jimmy deans.
dont over think it. just about anything will work if there in the right spot.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
I remember the late Charles Dobbins, father of Paul Dobbins, testing lures in Virginia. I saw him make a set and when it was time to add bait, lure and/or urine, Charlie added a few drops of lure down the hole and prepared to leave. I thought maybe he ran out of urine so I offered mine. He explained whenever he tested a lure he only used the lure alone because otherwise he would not know what odor the animal was responding too, the lure or the urine. That way when he made a catch at one of his test sets he knew for sure or not it was the lure that drew the critter in.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well......the one I did make yesterday with just mink gland lure had a boar coon in it this morning. Remade it and we'll see if we can go two for two tomorrow.

To answer some questions: no urine and no bait in this one. Just used the mink stuff to see if it would work. Appears it did....just not on a K9 this time around. Pure and simple fact is that this coon may have just been curious of the hole and fresh earth.

Either way.....it's all good.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Coon are really attracted to various gland lures, especially the big boars. I got one today on coyote gland, in a scent post set.

·
Super Moderator
24,066 Posts
Years ago when I used to trap fox I used Alpo Dog Food in the can for bait. I made a hole, put one chunk down the hole and set one trap on each side of the hole. They would smell the food and circle it then SNAP!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Last year I ran out of bait at the wrong time. Tried a mixture of bacon grease and sardines in oil. Worked great. I personally prefer professionally made stuff but in a pinch I enjoy experimenting too. I think anything will work when it gets cold enough and the critters get hungry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts