The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PGC site says the mentored kids permit includes a tag. Do they no long fill the adults tag?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
They never did use an adults tag.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, wow. I thought for sure they did. Thanks!

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
It would be a good thing if they had to use the adults tag.
We'd see how many dad's still said, "It's all about getting the the kids started and saving huntiing in PA. That's all that really matters".

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
hdt said:
We'd see how many dad's still said, "It's all about getting the the kids started and saving huntiing in PA. That's all that really matters".
If that's what it takes then so be it. I can't figure out why there's so many of you that don't want kids to be brought up hunting? Or at the very least don't want them to start earlier than you could have. Seems like mostly envy/jealousy than anything else.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
JasonN said:
hdt said:
If that's what it takes then so be it. I can't figure out why there's so many of you that don't want kids to be brought up hunting? Or at the very least don't want them to start earlier than you could have. Seems like mostly envy/jealousy than anything else.
I think they are just saying that there are other ways to get kids in to hunting rather than having to kill something. Nobody that I have seen on this site has ever mentioned that they don't want more kids hunting.

·
Registered
347 Posts
hdt said:
Since you seem to believe fathers are not taking their kids hunting for the childs benefit, what reason do you believe they take them hunting? This will be my sons third year with the mentored hunting program. I surely do not take him for my benefit. You ever sat in the woods with a kid and tried to hunt. That right there is something that can try your patients. I know if I wanted to benefit myself I would leave the little one at home and enjoy the hunt without the 10,000 questions from the 8 year old that is sitting next to me. By the way my son does not hunt for anything other than squirrel. When he is ready for something else we will move on but for now small game is all he is ready for. I only hope that when he is ready to move on the bill allowing the transfer of doe tags to mentored youth will have passed.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
mtnboy said:
Way too much pandering to the kids anymore. It's ridiculous.
I agree with that. However, that pandering is across the board...not just with hunting. If it's not done with hunting there will surely be a whole lot less hunters in the future. When all other aspects of society are starting kids out on seemingly everything at age two it's hard to compete with that suddenly when they turn 12.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Well, what's the solution?

We all know the 'entitlement' problem is widespread. What's the answer though? How do you fix it?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Perhaps you are confused as to the definition of 'pandering' or maybe you feel hunting fits into that, I don't know. Either way getting my child into the woods is hardly pandering. Many parents who are sportsmen want to get their kids out from in front of the TV and video games and out into the woods. There are times when we go and I do the shooting, other times he does the shooting. Hunting, fishing, hiking, etc... its all about spending time with the kids outdoors. I did not hunt as a kid because my dad didn't hunt. He did however fish. I know this much, if my dad took me fishing and I never got to touch a fishing rod until I was 12 I would never have went with him. Getting the child started when the parent feels they are ready is the best way to go. Nobody but myself and my wife knows when my children are ready to shoot, hunt, fish, ride a bike, cross the street by themselves, etc... I am the parent and I know what is best for my children.

So from my point of view I don't see the mentored youth hunting as pandering to the child. I do however hear some 'sportsmen' with a view that the child hunting may be a bad thing. I can't understand how my children hunting effects anyone but me and the kid. Perhaps these people just have the me, me, me mentality and are afraid the child will shoot 'their' deer.

For those confused about the definition of pandering: definition

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
No confusion at all from me. I'm on your side of this issue. My comments were in relation to the constant pandering of kids in general. Meaning that they're brought up in things like soccer from a very early age yet when it comes to hunting some seem to think we need to keep waiting. By that time many kids today have so many other involvements that they don't want to or often can't dedicate time to hunting and never get the bug. The parent wants them to, but doesn't want to hurt their feelings or push for anything and thus the pandering.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
My dad took me hunting with him before I was 12. I loved it. I might have thought it would have been great to be allowed to shoot a squirel but I loved to go along just to be out there , especially with him.
I took/take my sons with me. I didn't/won't let them shoot until they are they are licensed.

Many parents that will allow their kid to shoot a rifle at a big game animal when they are under 12, or especially 10, are not reasponible enough themselves to make the call. Some would allow the kid to drive a car down the road at ten or 12 if they weren't afraid of the law. And if you don't think daddy shoots many of the bucks that are tagged by jr., you are wrong.

If we must allow kids under twelve to kill to "save hunting", let daddy put his tag on the buck. How many of the same fathers will leave the kid at home then?

We are pandering to folks with an "I want it now" mentallity. And the fathers, or "baby daddys", that want to brag that "my 8yr old(or 9, 10, 11) is already killing deer. To themselves they are saying, "I am a great dad and hunter".

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
...for those that say things to the effect of 'there's other ways to get kids into hunting...." by all means tell us all about it. Last time I checked hunting involves killing and that includes shooting. Many, for some reason, don't want to acknowledge that!

My 3 year old knows what deer browsing a tree/bush and buck rubs look like and can readily tell you. He knows what a deer trail is. He knows you have to be quiet to see deer....and that they're spooky critters. He also knows that squirrels eat acorns, turkey's gobble & cluck and grouse fly hard and fast and loud when boosted. He's seen more bear in his short lifetime than many will in all their years hunting and otherwise. He also knows that for that deer to get into the back of the truck daddy had to shoot it. He may not fully understand that yet, but he will in time. In no way whatsoever am I saying he's ready to shoot anything or even tag along in the woods yet, but that time will come before long and I'm 100% sure he'll be ready to hunt before he's 12. He'll be tagging along long before then. The fire is already there....why put it out?

Depriving someone of something they're perfectly capable of isn't always the best course just as giving them everything as soon as they're ready isn't either.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Jason, I have typed my experiences with getting my son in to hunting without him killing anything until he was 12 so many times I'm tired of typing it

But I will say this he was involved in Football, baseball, friends, play station and all the other stuff that goes along with being a kid and still loves to hunt.

I don't want to argue this, I am just staing my experience. If they want to hunt they will.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
hdt said:
My dad took me hunting with him before I was 12. I loved it. I might have thought it would have been great to be allowed to shoot a squirel but I loved to go along just to be out there , especially with him.
I took/take my sons with me. I didn't/won't let them shoot until they are they are licensed.

Many parents that will allow their kid to shoot a rifle at a big game animal when they are under 12, or especially 10, are not reasponible enough themselves to make the call. Some would allow the kid to drive a car down the road at ten or 12 if they weren't afraid of the law. And if you don't think daddy shoots many of the bucks that are tagged by jr., you are wrong.

If we must allow kids under twelve to kill to "save hunting", let daddy put his tag on the buck. How many of the same fathers will leave the kid at home then?

We are pandering to folks with an "I want it now" mentallity. And the fathers, or "baby daddys", that want to brag that "my 8yr old(or 9, 10, 11) is already killing deer. To themselves they are saying, "I am a great dad and hunter".
There are many parents of 12, 13, etc year olds that aren't responsible enough to be parents, period. That doesn't mean we should punish those that are responsible.

Your entire post reeks of selfishness and holier-than-thou attitude. You 'know' all this about everyone else when in reality you know only about yourself and your kids.

Let me get this straight: It's okay to brag about your 12 year old shooting a deer, but it's irresponsible for an 11 year old to shoot a deer...heaven forbid brag about it? Is that right?

1 - 20 of 114 Posts