The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
WV Gino Home said:
>Those 68,000 allocated tages are being used on fringe areas 40 miles from the city (Pittsburgh) core.

LOL, there is no where in 2B 40 miles from downtown Pittsburgh. The average distance from Point State Park to the boundaries of 2B is right at 20 miles.

Gino

I can stare at I-70, southern boundary of 2B from my steps. It is a couple hairs shy of 50 miles to PGH Intl Airport from those same steps. My guess is that I am using road miles, and you are suggesting linear miles. Doesn't really matter though, as my point being made is that the umpteen-thousand tags they issue, are not being used where the CORE of the problem exists. It doesn't take a degree in rocket science to figure that out.

Bottom line. The boundaries need revamped..... unless you can come up with a better solution by sighting the problem from good ole West Virgina.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Make sure to check out the press release from the meetings today. looks like you may get your wish in how allocation and tag use happen in the SRA.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree that hunters from other areas with shotguns and rifles and those from the area disregarding safety zones- have gotten more land posted in 2B than any other factor. The last Friday this year for the second time I had to kick sluggers out of safety zones. There were guys in orange driving deer btween houses carrying shotguns. The drivers were totally ignorant to how close they were. These guys came with in 40 yds of houses. IMO blatant disregard for safety zone areas have led to more posted signs than any other factor in 2B. I guess people really get desperate on the last days of season and figure it worth the risk to sneak into posted safety zones to kill deer. I live in 2B and have seen 100s of acres posted due to this. I DONT BLAME landowners in the least for not wanting gun hunters around their houses. I wouldnt- ,many areas of 2b are just too populated to afford use of firearms. Sure you may be able to sit 150 yds away from a house BUT youd have to shoot deer right next to you. Many dont realize shooting into a safe zones just as illegal. Bows and xbows are the only safe way. Many landowners I ve spoken too feel the same way. Ill be glad when the make parts of 2b all primitive instead of taking chances with hunters perceived good judgement.

·
Registered
22,691 Posts
Fleroo said:
WV Gino Home said:
>Those 68,000 allocated tages are being used on fringe areas 40 miles from the city (Pittsburgh) core.

LOL, there is no where in 2B 40 miles from downtown Pittsburgh. The average distance from Point State Park to the boundaries of 2B is right at 20 miles.

Gino

I can stare at I-70, southern boundary of 2B from my steps. It is a couple hairs shy of 50 miles to PGH Intl Airport from those same steps. My guess is that I am using road miles, and you are suggesting linear miles. Doesn't really matter though, as my point being made is that the umpteen-thousand tags they issue, are not being used where the CORE of the problem exists. It doesn't take a degree in rocket science to figure that out.

Bottom line. The boundaries need revamped..... unless you can come up with a better solution by sighting the problem from good ole West Virgina.
I'm with you. I live on the outskirts of 2B, near route 66 and I'll see trucks filled with hunters just showing up here; guys I never see any other time of year. There are some deer around but not nearly as many as the days when doe tags were county specific. Meanwhile, in Monroeville, Boone and Crockett bucks are getting killed by cars. I think 2B should be Allegheny county only.

·
Registered
20,048 Posts
Late antlerless firearms is proposed to only include the SRA. Not wmu 2b as a whole.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Same thing here...trucks of hunters we never see...because the area is loaded with coop farms...most dont ask permission...they park and drive where they want...hunt what and where they want...

Thankfully most dont see a living critter so they dont come back...

Ones that do ask permission we find out they traveled an hour or 2 because they saw all the coops online...

Will keep my fingers crossed that it passes the full way! Part way there now!!

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Late antlerless firearms is proposed to only include the SRA. Not wmu 2b as a whole.
Reckon that's a start... but another issue is coming up with a better plan that will allow the 68,000 (basically unlimited) tags to be used in more "Pittsburgh centric" areas. Possibly a series of Town Hall type meetings between PGC and TWP. officials, at least to get ideas and open up dialog ?

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
I agree fleroo...something needs done to seperate the tags...

Put rifle areas of 2B into 1A and 2A maybe...leave the SRA as 2B...

The turn pike isnt far and we have a few late season spots over there in 1A...the difference is amazing..same with going to hunt in 2F...sad we go to camp to see deer when we live in 2B where deer are supposed to be thick as fleas on a hound dog lol...even public land in 2F is better than our farm land in 2B...

Hope they get it fixed...

Am i reading the seasons wrong or is 2B fall turkey purposed to be only a couple days??? Whats up with that??? The yotes did a number on the turkeys for sure in my woods...but they arent doing too shabby i didnt think...definitely decreasing population...

·
Registered
20,048 Posts
mauser06 said:
Am i reading the seasons wrong or is 2B fall turkey purposed to be only a couple days??? Whats up with that??? The yotes did a number on the turkeys for sure in my woods...but they arent doing too shabby i didnt think...definitely decreasing population...
Think you read it wrong. I see about a three week season.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Whitetail Management has alot of areas locked up around Pittsburgh. Those guys can only kill so many. There are other rules and regs that make WMA not as effective at controlling deer numbers too. There are only so many days you can hunt, Assigned areas with in a park etc. etc. Difficult access and politics will always make controlling deer #s in 2b almost unmanageable.

·
Registered
20,048 Posts
It is just about impossible to control deer numbers with archery only.

·
Registered
330 Posts
dpms said:
Way overdue. Fringe areas on both east and west sides of 2B that I am familiar with have been hammered hard. Glad to hear it, and many of the other landowners that I know will be too.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Fleroo said:
He's absolutely correct. Those 68,000 allocated tages are being used on fringe areas 40 miles from the city (Pittsburgh) core. Rifles non-stop for how many weeks ? or should I say, months. Plenty of people fed up. Including me. I've been clammering for changes to 2B boundaries for years. Fallowfield Twp. or 84 PA, is a far cry from Upper St. Clair, Fox Chapel, and the likes.
I been hunting for over 6 years all over (2B) area in 84 PA, I didn't see that many hunters out after Christmas break,in fact I hunted several areas through 84 PA, and North Strabane township...on few hunts I was lucky i seen 2 or 3 hunters....and I gotten out alot in them areas... they are not being "over hunted" ...there is Plenty of areas around 84 PA to hunt safetly with rifle.... I don't see any harm in it.... plus there are many folks who do not like shooting Slugs with youngsters in mind.... rifle best way to go, and NO! I never heard anyone complaining about hunters with rifles....just remember the "2B" SHOTGUN area after christmas... is a blessing! think of rest of people through whole state, don't have late "Shotgun season" in thier WMU... it either get a deer during rifle season, or go home empty handed,for thoes folks.....

·
Registered
248 Posts
even though 2B sold High limit of tags, they always have done this in past.... there were always about 5,000 -6,000 tags still left at end of season.... not all thoes tags were filled out..... I had 1 tag myself this year, I counted over 60+ deer after christmas time, I didn't fill my tag out.... I let my 2 sons shoot a doe each, we finished year off.... I been teaching my sons not to be greedy only need 1 doe or buck is plenty of meat....i don't believe the "whole 68,000" tags are being filled out in fringe areas outside of Allegheny county....basically it really only 1 MONTH of rifle after chritmas from End of month DEC 26th to end of JAN 26th...so it only 1 month of hunting....

·
Registered
248 Posts
good ole boy said:
Not to get off topic,but how can you and 2 sons get enough meat from only one deer?
We love it and it don,t last long in this house.
Honestly, this is 1st year out 27 years I been hunting I didn't Tag a single deer... some years I've gotten Buck and Doe... other years I've gotten a doe or two... these last few years my sons Been having the Best luck, and I let them... but 2 deer in our house hold last long enough by march or april all deer meat is gone.... I butcher my own deer... we mostly make Jerky,sausage, butterfly chops, I make little ground meat for chilli, sometimes make deer salami... 2 deer enough for my house hold... I been getting a little tired Butchering deer every year....but lately I changed way I hunt deer these last few years....if I shoot a Buck, I throw my Doe tag away forget I had it....if no buck then I'll be more glad shoot a Doe......but with Kids I let them shoot deer as long as they have tags, I only buy them 1 doe tag each and that in (2B) Area....

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Jabshier1 said:
Fleroo said:
He's absolutely correct. Those 68,000 allocated tages are being used on fringe areas 40 miles from the city (Pittsburgh) core. Rifles non-stop for how many weeks ? or should I say, months. Plenty of people fed up. Including me. I've been clammering for changes to 2B boundaries for years. Fallowfield Twp. or 84 PA, is a far cry from Upper St. Clair, Fox Chapel, and the likes.
I been hunting for over 6 years all over (2B) area in 84 PA, I didn't see that many hunters out after Christmas break,in fact I hunted several areas through 84 PA, and North Strabane township...on few hunts I was lucky i seen 2 or 3 hunters....and I gotten out alot in them areas... they are not being "over hunted" ...there is Plenty of areas around 84 PA to hunt safetly with rifle.... I don't see any harm in it.... plus there are many folks who do not like shooting Slugs with youngsters in mind.... rifle best way to go, and NO! I never heard anyone complaining about hunters with rifles....just remember the "2B" SHOTGUN area after christmas... is a blessing! think of rest of people through whole state, don't have late "Shotgun season" in thier WMU... it either get a deer during rifle season, or go home empty handed,for thoes folks.....

Each local hunting area is different and has different dynamics for each local that hunts it. Yours doesn't seem to be too affected by the high tag alloctions and extended rifle season. That's a good thing for you.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Jabshier1 said:
good ole boy said:
Not to get off topic,but how can you and 2 sons get enough meat from only one deer?
We love it and it don,t last long in this house.
Honestly, this is 1st year out 27 years I been hunting I didn't Tag a single deer... some years I've gotten Buck and Doe... other years I've gotten a doe or two... these last few years my sons Been having the Best luck, and I let them... but 2 deer in our house hold last long enough by march or april all deer meat is gone.... I butcher my own deer... we mostly make Jerky,sausage, butterfly chops, I make little ground meat for chilli, sometimes make deer salami... 2 deer enough for my house hold... I been getting a little tired Butchering deer every year....but lately I changed way I hunt deer these last few years....if I shoot a Buck, I throw my Doe tag away forget I had it....if no buck then I'll be more glad shoot a Doe......but with Kids I let them shoot deer as long as they have tags, I only buy them 1 doe tag each and that in (2B)
Area....
You should never have to throw a tag away in that area. Its a darn shame of hown much posted huntable land and large number deer are right along side the major highways in those areas and how many deer are wasted in automobile collisions.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.