The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Game Commissioner Bob Schlemmer has used the Farmer will post their land cry. This time the Commission wants to change the counties outside of Allegheny Co, in 2B to Primitive weapons only, for the late Antler-less season. Allegheny Co, will remain Shotgun for this late season. Schlemmer claims Landowners in the fringe Counties are upset over the late season Hunting pressure. Full story in Pennsylvania Outdoor News January 4th on Page 3. Good luck sell those 68000 Doe Licenses for 2B next year.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
He's absolutely correct. Those 68,000 allocated tages are being used on fringe areas 40 miles from the city (Pittsburgh) core. Rifles non-stop for how many weeks ? or should I say, months. Plenty of people fed up. Including me. I've been clammering for changes to 2B boundaries for years. Fallowfield Twp. or 84 PA, is a far cry from Upper St. Clair, Fox Chapel, and the likes.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So perhaps you will pay for all the cedar trees, and scrubs I have replaced over the years, or maybe the vet bill’s for Lymse disease treatment for two house dogs. And Good luck getting permission to hunt in Allegheny co, I live in 2B and I can tell you the extended season has not hurt the Deer heard in my area of 2B. Drive around 2B very little ground is not posted. And as for the farmers being disturbed after Christmas. I have a Sportsman’s club less than a mile from my home. They shoot trap till 11 PM most nights. The commissioner’s job is to promote Hunting, Not drive more away from it.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
So perhaps you will pay for all the cedar trees, and scrubs I have replaced over the years,
Cedar Trees, Shrubs (I presume you meant), Lyme Disease. When snow hits the ground, and ground food is scarce, they will come after your shrubs, and mine, and any other person in PA that has a shrub in their yard. That's a bad example as to why 2B shouldn't be detached from the true SRA.

or maybe the vet bill’s for Lymse disease treatment for two house dogs.
I'd bet dollars to donuts, the incidence of Lymes Disease in your area of 2B is no more prevalent than that of 2G, or any other WMU in the state. Also a bad example as to why 2B shouldn't be detached from the true SRA.

As far as farmers being disturbed by rifle sounds, if that is what you are insinuating, I don't think that is a very valid reason on the other side of the argument either. Then again, I don't think that is one of the main arguments for his proposal either. That's kinda like the Religion farce regarding Sunday Hunting.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
still a heck of a lot of 2B needs some serious deer trimming, including my area and i live 25 miles from downtown. the problem is the very few areas open to hunting get pounded. i could shoot 5 deer a day around my house and not hurt the population. its the same old story, hunting allowed=deer decimated. hunting not allowed=deer overcrowding. until that is solved state-wide there will always be problems. maybe EHD or CWD will take care of it before the government does.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
hornady said:
So perhaps you will pay for all the cedar trees, and scrubs I have replaced over the years, or maybe the vet bill’s for Lymse disease treatment for two house dogs. And Good luck getting permission to hunt in Allegheny co, I live in 2B and I can tell you the extended season has not hurt the Deer heard in my area of 2B. Drive around 2B very little ground is not posted. And as for the farmers being disturbed after Christmas. I have a Sportsman’s club less than a mile from my home. They shoot trap till 11 PM most nights. The commissioner’s job is to promote Hunting, Not drive more away from it.
You may want to Read "The Naturalist's Eye" in the PA Game News January Issue....

"Don't Blame Deer if you get Lyme Disease" per Dr. Richard S. Ostfeld.

Seems a Deer's Body KILLS the Lyme Virus....You might want to be Directing your Dislike toward the White Footed Mouse!

And as already stated, it is Not Lymse Disease, it is Lyme Disease!

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
We are in 2B and a lot of coop farms around....guys are traveling...not asking permission..tearing things up...oh and deer??? If we wanna see deer we cross over to 1A or goto camp in 2F...

Farmers are upset....many newly posted farms...its a zoo..they think its SGLs or something...if they do knock they are told no doe hunting have a nice day...

Also this year has been bad for road hunters...we finally started to get a few deer because the guys gave up after not seeing anything for a few years..so now they road hunt....been atleast 1 or 2 cases made that i know of...

Just checked a farm today and they had it all tore up and the farmer is fuming...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
i live lawerence county and do ALOT of hunting in 2b allegheny county i have permission to hunt over 700acres 5 different properties and will have 2 more properties next year i spend alot of time knocking on doors and talking to people down there i was only told no twice

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
still a heck of a lot of 2B needs some serious deer trimming, including my area and i live 25 miles from downtown. the problem is the very few areas open to hunting get pounded.
I won't disagree with you, and you pretty much hit the nail on the head with 2B. The fringe areas (apparently where you live) of 2B are hunted. "Posted" does not mean not hunted. If property owners are not proficient land/game managers (how many do you think are ?), a few good men and a fistful of tags can make quite a difference in a local herd. Where you hit the proverbial "nail on the head" is regarding the unhuntable land that is the true issue in urban to inner suburban areas.... Pittsburgh centric if you will. That being the land within 15 miles or so from the city core. That's what needs to be solved. There needs to be some sort of dialogue with township officials/ county commissioners, etc..... to get a handle on it. Believe me, I know that is easier said than done. But, issuing 70,000 tags year after year after year and still having the same problem should lend a hint that just issuing unlimited tags IS NOT solving the true problem areas.

Doing the same thing year after year (unlimited tags), and hoping for different results, hen't cuttin it.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I've hunted exclusively in Allegheny county this season and finding land to legally be on to hunt is really hard. And each area seems to have their own laws or at least the police act that way depending where your at. You would think deer hunting would be easy, but hunt an area where everyone else has access and good luck even seeing a deer. And hunting the city, yes it can be done, but most likely will draw attention. In the past I hunted the fringe of 2B in Wash. County. Deer everywhere, less pressure, kill count way up, and it was posted. Lost that hot spot two years ago. Memories...

·
Registered
673 Posts
My family owns property in Westmoreland County. The property has been posted for years but we always gave permission to neighbors and people we knew. Once 2B was extended to include our property we stopped giving permission and started taking permission away from people. WHO WANTS PEOPLE HUNTING WITH RIFLES ON THEIR PROPERTY FOR 2 MONTHS OR MORE.

I would like to use the property without the threat of getting shot by a stray bullet. And even if we restrict the use on our property, people always think the signs don't obtain to them or sit two feet over the line and shoot onto our property.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
>Those 68,000 allocated tages are being used on fringe areas 40 miles from the city (Pittsburgh) core.

LOL, there is no where in 2B 40 miles from downtown Pittsburgh. The average distance from Point State Park to the boundaries of 2B is right at 20 miles.

Gino

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
The absolute farthest distance in the part of 2B in Washington Co is 23.7 miles from Point State park, South of Charleroi.

Some of the boundary of 2B in Washington Co is as close as 12.8 miles near McDonald.

Gino

1 - 20 of 43 Posts