The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday with the East winds, none of my stand preset stands worked so I hunted on the ground for the first time in a very long time. I put on my ASAT 3-D leafy suit and sat in an overgrown golden rod field at a transition line with pines. I found out very quickly that my Walmart $10 folding chair is very uncomfortable and is not gonna work. Ended up kneeling for most of the sit. I need a chair that’s easily packable and not noisy/squeaky. Also, while we’re on the topic for ground hunting, I think I’m gonna pick up a third hand man parallel limb ground hunter, unless there is something else someone can suggest. Thanks

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Back when my father was still living and hunting with me he could no longer manage to go into my treestands. I picked up a seat that strapped to the tree at ground level and it really saved the day for a few years.

Most places handle them by one manufaturer or another, just be sure the one you buy doesn't damage the tree and you should be able to use it anywhere. They weigh under 5 lbs, and the tree strap can double as a carry strap.

Hope that helps out.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Sportsman's Guide sells a small swivel chair that is padded, I replaced my favorite folding chair with t in my new tower stand because I can put it in the middle of the floor and just turn with my feet with no movement other than that. https://www.sportsmansguide.com/productlist?k=hunting chairs
I have the second one but there is a lot to choose from.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
If you have some trees a Dead ringer hammock seat. Fits in you pack and is comfortable.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If you have some trees a Dead ringer hammock seat. Fits in you pack and is comfortable.
He is talking about a ground blind.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yesterday with the East winds, none of my stand preset stands worked so I hunted on the gsForround for the first time in a very long time. I put on my ASAT 3-D leafy suit and sat in an overgrown golden rod field at a transition line with pines. I found out very quickly that my Walmart $10 folding chair is very uncomfortable and is not gonna work. Ended up kneeling for most of the sit. I need a chair that’s easily packable and not noisy/squeaky. Also, while we’re on the topic for ground hunting, I think I’m gonna pick up a third hand man parallel limb ground hunter, unless there is something else someone can suggest. Thanks
For many years I have used a folding lawn chair spray painted camouflage. Folds, light to carry, comfortable. Position your self with expected shooting lane on the side your support arm can use the armrest to aid shooting. It puts you at a better level to see than sitting on a ground cushion and is many times more comfortable. Still, is important, comfortable allows still.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yesterday with the East winds, none of my stand preset stands worked so I hunted on the gsForround for the first time in a very long time. I put on my ASAT 3-D leafy suit and sat in an overgrown golden rod field at a transition line with pines. I found out very quickly that my Walmart $10 folding chair is very uncomfortable and is not gonna work. Ended up kneeling for most of the sit. I need a chair that’s easily packable and not noisy/squeaky. Also, while we’re on the topic for ground hunting, I think I’m gonna pick up a third hand man parallel limb ground hunter, unless there is something else someone can suggest. Thanks
For many years I have used a folding lawn chair spray painted camouflage. Folds, light to carry, comfortable. Position your self with expected shooting lane on the side your support arm can use the armrest to aid shooting. It puts you at a better level to see than sitting on a ground cushion and is many times more comfortable. Still, is important, comfortable allows still.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
I have used a 5 gal. bucket covered with a burlap bag and also the folding lawn chair with burlap.I hunt corn fields and get deer REAL close.Last year in early muzzy season was the closest.Had a 6pt at 2 corn rows.He looked right at me and never knew I was there.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
He is talking about a ground blind.

Go read the OP's original post. No mention of a ground blind in there. He said he was hunting from the ground at a transition with pines. I wasn't sure if he was in the golden rod or backed up against a tree. hence why I said if you have trees the hammock seat is a good one.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Most of the time I just use my cheapo turkey chair from Hellmart... quiet, comfortable and light. The only downside is that you really should position it about at a 60°-90° angle from where you expect to take a shot, so if the deer go a different direction, being able to reposition for a shot isn't likely.

I've used the Dead Ringer a few times and like that as well. Very portable, comfortable and easy to set up. You can also spin yourself around the tree a bit if you need to shoot a different direction.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Not super packable, but can carry with one hand; when I have a short(ish) walk to a ground stand, I take a discarded office chair (low back, no armrests,) and plop it on the ground. I sprayed the chrome part flat black and knocked off the wheels. Comfy and swivels silently. I've also taken and left it in a ground blind at camp. Carry in once, use it for a week, carry it back out. If you get a deer you have to make another trip to retrieve it if you're alone, but it's the most comfortable seat I've used for sitting on the ground. Been using it 5 or so years.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts

Yesterday with the East winds, none of my stand preset stands worked so I hunted on the ground for the first time in a very long time. I put on my ASAT 3-D leafy suit and sat in an overgrown golden rod field at a transition line with pines. I found out very quickly that my Walmart $10 folding chair is very uncomfortable and is not gonna work. Ended up kneeling for most of the sit. I need a chair that’s easily packable and not noisy/squeaky. Also, while we’re on the topic for ground hunting, I think I’m gonna pick up a third hand man parallel limb ground hunter, unless there is something else someone can suggest. Thanks
Probably want something like this, but in camo, and preferably aluminum. I am sure an aluminum version is even more expensive though.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/BLA...lLZ0o70q-mUWmpoVqpRoC1McQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Can't vouch for it as I don't have one (would be nice to have though!).

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I use the seat (top section) of the LW Hand Climber. It weight nearly nothing and will attach to any tree offering you a seat at ground level. You can buy it right off the website, just the top section.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looking for something that doesn’t have to attach to a tree. This area and a few others I have in mind for the remainder of the year are over grown golden rod fields with very thin trees.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts