The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing a woodstove in my shed i find myself cutting a bit of wood now and the handy down john deere chainsaw i have which is funny enough stamped "Made in China" is not very powerful and the blade is beyond sharping. i am probly going to buy a new blade for it at the time but im looking into buying a chain saw im not sure for size 16 18 20inch i dont need anything huge i dont find my self cutting down trees too large often. i also am not sure as to brand i know sthl is everyones favorite but ive heard good things about poulan and husqrvarna.

·
Registered
872 Posts
stihl ms170 with a spare chain will do you just fine. I bought a ms 290 and its a beast for the work i do. i love the 170 plenty of power and its light. all you need to do is upgrade the bucking spikes to metal which only costs a few bucks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im just going to replace my bar and chain on my old one for now until i make a decision but i am not sure on this its a john deere 60 link chain but i cant find any 60 link 16" chains at lowes and the bar is so old it doesnt have the pitch or gauge so im just going to replace the bar and chain now can i just pick up a 16" replacement bar if the bar with chain is only 56 links? if the receiving bolt holes are the same and and the bar length is the same i think that would work but ive never been much of a chainsaw person so thats why im asking before i leave work today and buy one id like an idea thanks

·
Registered
872 Posts
Oregon Usually has good replacement bars and chains they can be found at tractor supply. Or at one time they could I just checked and Tractor Supply Now carriers Country line witch I guess is their line.

·
Registered
373 Posts
There are things you buy at at Lowes and things you don.t.Buy a chainsaw at a chainsaw shop even if its a little more money.Lowes isn't going to fix your saw while you wait or lend you a saw to use.This is one time you should support a small business.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Go online and find the manual for your John Deere saw. It will tell you what bar and chain you need, gauge and pitch. Once you know that, you can find replacements that fit correctly.

Take some time and watch some chainsaw safety videos on youtube. Considering signing up for a Game of Logging class that will teach you how to do it safely.

At a minimum, get safety chaps and hard hat.

Also, watch on youtube how to sharpen a chain with files and the little roller guide that goes over the chain. Keep your chain sharp.

For a new saw, ask around for what nearby dealer has good service. Doesn't matter if it is Stihl or Husqvarna.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Dogface said:
Swift said:
There is a reason this name keeps coming up. It is a quality product backed by good service.
There's another reason..........

Worked ALL day today with a group of 4 saws. 3 Huskies and 1 Stihl.

Guess which was the only one that would not start on the first or second pull EVERY time ????

Yep. You guessed it. The newest saw by several years. The Stihl 290.

Just sayin'

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
First of all, you can't just buy a bar and chain and throw it on. You must match the pitch of the chain and bar to the sprocket. Since you don't know much about them I would take it to a dealer(John Deere or other) and have a professional look at it.

To your original question. I'll only ever look at Stihl and Jonsered for new saws. I've cut around a few people that have Huskies and frankly I'd rather break out one of my old Homelite's than use one of them.

Ah, nothin better than a C-5 Homelite. Biggest safety feature is the on/off switch.

Sorry off topic a bit. Your best bet is to talk to a dealer. If they're good they will ask you how much you cut, the size logs you plan on cutting and the type of wood you expect to cut mostly. For instance, around here my mom can get away with her old Stihl 017, because she mostly lays into soft maple with the occasional ash. You start trying to cut oak with that thing and you'll be at it all day. Best advice, buy the biggest saw you think you'll never need and can still afford. If you buy too small you'll regret it some day. I cut about 6 cords of wood each year with an MS362. I wanted an MS660 for the larger bar capabilities, but couldn't afford it and my C-91 Homelite with the 36" bar still starts whenever I want it to.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Strut10 said:
Dogface said:
Swift said:
There is a reason this name keeps coming up. It is a quality product backed by good service.
There's another reason..........

Worked ALL day today with a group of 4 saws. 3 Huskies and 1 Stihl.

Guess which was the only one that would not start on the first or second pull EVERY time ????

Yep. You guessed it. The newest saw by several years. The Stihl 290.

Just sayin'
Funny you bring this up. I had to take a chainsaw cert this summer. We brought our own saws and they provided some saws. There were 3 Husky's and 2 Stihl's. The one Stihl wouldn't run worth a crap. The other would run fine, but wouldn't start very easily. BOTH of those saws were 2 years old or less and 'pro' saws that get regular maintenance. They weren't used by pro loggers, rather used to clear blow downs from trails and roads and such. The Husky's all ran great.

I have nothing against Stihl, but I've witnessed enough with friends' saws that I'll by another Husky when/if mine ever dies.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I have had my Husky over ten years probably even over 15 years. It still starts the second pull. Very good saws. Been around Stilhs and they are good saws also but I don't think they are as dependable as a Husky.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts