The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this was the right forum but figured I would be using it at camp. So I'm in need of a new saw and have a side by side comparison that I can't make my mind up. I've always been a stihl fan and all my outdoor equipment is stihl but I feel like when I compare the stihl ms-271 to a echo cs-590 the echo is more bang for your buck. If anyone has a opinion on the matter let me hear it.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
At that size I don't think you'll notice much of a difference, but... The Stihl is a pound lighter and has a WOT a grand higher. The Stihl will probably do a much better job with less fatigue of the two. I will say, if you run the two next to each other you will notice the RPM difference.

The decision comes down to what you're cutting, how much and how often it will get used. My mom uses the old 017(15-20 years old), and uses the heck out of it. I've had to rebuild it twice from worn out rings, but it just keeps on tickin.

·
Super Moderator
4,705 Posts
If you plan on leaving it at camp consider the fact it might get stolen.Read those horror stories every year on here.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
What do you plan on cutting with the saw, how much use and what size bar do you plan on using? I have an MS-271 and it is ok but the oiler is anemic and non-adjustable. I feel like it is barely enough oil of a 16" bar and if you run a 20" bar you will wish there was more oil.

Have you considered buying used? Used on craigslist echos tend to sell for much less than the stihl so you could pick up a deal there. I have a used echo cs-400 that I removed the cat from the muffler and adjusted the carb an it is a great little saw for trimming and small firewood work. Anything bigger I tend to use my bigger saw. The MS271 spends a lot of time on the shelf.

Other things to consider how is the dealer support at your cabin or at home for that matter? Which dealer do you like better? If you need parts will you be able to get them. Also stihl parts are only sold through the dealer versus echo you can buy online.

I am not brand loyal as I have power equipment and saws from stihl, echo, and husky. Go over to arboristsite and read about both saws as that may help you decide.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'm a Stihl guy myself, and the saws I use the most at work and home are Stihls, IMO their pro saws are the best made, my ms461 is without a doubt the best saw I have ever owned.

However, if I had to choose between the Ms 271 or the cs590, I would go with the Echo 590 timber wolf. The echo has 10 more cc's, a magnesium crankcase compared to a plastic one, will have more power with a longer bar, has good air filtration, a 5 year warranty compared to a 2 year. With good maintainance and ethanol free mix it will last you a long time. Echo makes good equipment.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
I now only run Echo. Would recommend the CS 550P. Similar to the Timberwolf but nicer.
Now I would never leave a saw at camp...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Go with the echo 590 over the 271. The 590 is pretty much a 600sp which is a pro saw. The 590 has a cheaper sprocket, handle, and coil. I own a 590 and it hangs with my makita 6421 with a muffler mod.

I have run numerous brands in the 60cc range and for the price you can't beat the 590. I'm selling a 590 if your interested.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well first thing I will say is the saw is not being left at camp and I don't understand why anyone would. Second I think I'm gonna jump ship on stihl and switch to echo on this one. Probably do a MM and carb tune then call it a day.

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
I own both a Stihl MS361 professional say, and an Echo.... CS400 or something like that ? I have 18" and 20" bars for both. I converted the 361 over to a 3/8" sprocket and bar instead of the .325 that are standard on them. Night and day difference in the cut. That said, the Echo is my primary wood getter. It's lighter, and stays running at idle better than the Stihl. ... and I've ran Stihl's for over 30 years. Had an old 028 Super AV that was just a beast. Simple design, and easy to put carb kits in, which is a must with this Ethanol nowadays in fuel. The newer Stihl's come with the crappy non-adjustable carbs, and limiters. STUPID.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Ms271 is junk, we run one at work daily. My foreman actually brought in his own personal 550xp Husqvarna. This saw has been dropped 20' out of a bucket and dropped 30' and had a chunk of telephone pole land on it and still runs flawless!

·
Registered
462 Posts
But down into your price range a Rancher 455 is a heckuva a lot of saw for the money if you can find one jsed. Aside from that I wouldn't count out Jonsered. Love my little Jonsered 38cc turbo for doing firewood!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been a professional logger for 10 years. Husqvarna is the only saws I will use. If I had to pick a second it would be a dolmar. In my opinion stihl products get a lot of hype, but I never thought they would compare to a husky. But it's all in what you want, it's like ford and Chevy, everyone has their favorites and opinions.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
What size wood are you typically cutting?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
PSE Decree said:
I've been a professional logger for 10 years. Husqvarna is the only saws I will use. If I had to pick a second it would be a dolmar. In my opinion stihl products get a lot of hype, but I never thought they would compare to a husky. But it's all in what you want, it's like ford and Chevy, everyone has their favorites and opinions.
Dolmars absolutely scream!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
DxtHunter86 said:
Well first thing I will say is the saw is not being left at camp and I don't understand why anyone would. Second I think I'm gonna jump ship on stihl and switch to echo on this one. Probably do a MM and carb tune then call it a day.
you have nothing to lose. why not make the jump and see how it works out. they're both quality saws. i've never used an echo, only stihl, but i have two buddies that are satisfied with the echos.

·
Registered
25,594 Posts
Used Homelites since the early 70s. The little one still works fine after all these years. Mostly use Stihls these days, including my own 250 16". It's given good service and most of my family/friends use Huskies or Stihls, although one that cuts lot of wood,got an 18" Dolmar a few years ago and likes it?

Dad and I used to let the Homelites at my uncle's farm across the valley from camp, but they always seemed to wind up over at my cousin's dairy farm - so we fetched 'em home so he could get his own saw.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts