The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spend a lot of time cutting brush (autum olive) and other small tress (striped maple) most are less then 3" in diameter.
Would I be better off buying a 12 climbing saw? Seems like it would be better in tight places and a lot lighter then my bigger saws. I also seem to have issues with the chains coming off my 16" echo saws when cutting brush ( i do keep the chains tight and sharp). I know they are pricey but i can get a used one a decent price.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,888 Posts
I use my Stihl chainsaw. The 18" blade is good for reach in under the tops. I have no problem getting down on my knees under the tops and cutting the group growth.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a trimmer with a blade, which works fine for some brush, but it doesn't work well if i need to cut anything above knee height.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
For small stuff, I often use my 18v sawzall with pruning blade. Pruning blades are a little pricey but work very well. Careful, they are nasty sharp.

·
Registered
12,254 Posts
did you ever consider a saw bladed weed eater,?
The one I have works good for stuff smaller than 1/2" but if you get much bigger than that it is rough to get it thru. I typically use a chainsaw on the bigger stuff.

When cutting the small stuff, keeping the chain on can be an issue. I try to keep it as snug as I can. That helps, but those small saplings can still flip it off occasionally.

·
Registered
993 Posts
My Buddy has a stihl weed eater with a Hedge trimmer attachment It wont cut 3" trees but eays up the smaller stuff!!

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
We've got acres of autumn olive. We cleared a 1/2 acre for food plot. Started by cutting the ao down then using the backhoe to dig up stumps and roots. labor intensive. So we just backed the hoe up to the a/o then curled the bucket at the base. Popped right out with root ball. Threw them into a brush pile. A/O will regrow more if you just cut them down and don't treat the stumps. We used a small Kubota garden tractor with backhoe and bucket.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you were a real man, you'd just use this. No chain to slip off!
If I was a real man, I would have raised my kids right, so they would say... "here Dad, relax with a beer while we wack away at this autum olive patch" !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts