The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm sure this has been covered but can't find it . what length chain do you run for canines ? also are #2 montys strong enough for music wire springs ?

·
Registered
653 Posts
I used to have only 8" of chain on mine but after watching a coyote jackhammer my 1 3/4 I lengthened all mine to 12 to 16 inches.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
I like mine short...swivel off the D ring, 3 links, swivel, 3 links, swivel on the anchor...keeps em in 1 spot..they cant get momentum to lunge and pump..not that you can pump a good anchor..

Long chain is good..they cant get that vertical lunge..but you gotta get pretty long...and thats more weight...

My theory anyways...i hate carrying heavy gear...short chains work for me...

I ran #2 montys and they work great..mine were all fully modified though...

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
i run about 18 to 20 inches of chain . 3 swivels mixed in double rebar stakes . never had one pull out .short chain doesn't work for me , i like to be able to put my trap on my leg to set it . the longer the better . plus i like the machine link chain ,american made !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
275 Posts
I'm thinking of putting between 6 & 8 inches of chain on my new traps, after getting rid of the twin loop stuff.

My coilsprings will be used for fox & coon. I am not targeting coyotes yet. But you all think longer is better for coyotes?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts