The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have luck hunting coyotes in the summer? I've tried it a 8 or so times with no luck.. (I'm using a foxpro).

Anyone have any tips?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've also tried early morning, evening, and night hunting them.. I know they're around because I have pictures of them on my trail camera.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I prefer mouth calls - but choice is yours...

Focus on field edges - plan accordingly to scouted arrival points Wiley would choose based on terrain... Have several setups dictated by wind direction...

pre dawn - dusk to dark ..are my preferred times

The Big Woods - very tough right now too much cover...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use mouth calls too... I can do a distress on them, and kinda howl.. I've killed foxes with the foxpro. The hunting area they're in is the side of a ridge, near a creek.. It's extremely thick so you can't get to them.. So i've tried hunting in the field beside the ridge, but no luck.. guess I'll just have to try and stick with it.

They're also on the mountain, but with it being in the woods, I either spook them walking in, or they're just not interested.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, When the fire alarm goes off like 12 miles down the valley they light up like it's the 4th of july.. but when I try and call them, silence.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Bokurkey said:
Yeah, When the fire alarm goes off like 12 miles down the valley they light up like it's the 4th of july.. but when I try and call them, silence.
hahahaha

Yotes - perhaps the only critter tougher to figure out than a woman...

Good Luck Buddy - Keep at It...

I am starting back up after the 4th of July,,,will be sharing the same frustrations of playing chess with them...

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Start with fawn distress. Finish with pup distress. Try not to overcall. Too much and too loud is the mistake I think I have made the most.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
bohunr, HD1969 & kdvarmint,
how many summer Coyote hunts do you do, on average, per summer?
How many kills have you made or what percentage of kills is the average per summer.

·
Registered
20,396 Posts
Hern,

one, maybe two. per summer, plan on more this year.

average number of kills is ZERO, missed twice...sitting in the woods, daytime hunt, was taken by surprise both times. i was using pup in distress both times. i played other sounds but thats what i was using when i got "Caught"

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Hunt fresh cut fields during summer. Start out with mouse, rat or vole sounds. By fresh cut I mean that day. They love to mouse in the strips of hay.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I don't hunt much during summer or early fall. Usually I only do when someone needs me to. My summer and early fall success rate on them is way higher than "regular" season. Usually a lot of pups involved, which is why (I'm sure).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts