The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last day of deer season this year I heard several cow calls and several elk bugles over a 5 minute period in Martin's Gap (Rocky Ridge Natural Area). WMU 4D. Could it be folks playing around, or could elk possibly have made it that far south in the state? I recorded the action on my cell phone and put it on a CD for a Ranger at the DCNR to listen to. (I had ran into him out there right after I heard them). I moved in on the area quickly and never saw another hunter, nor did I hear them again. Just curious what is the farthest south in PA that anyone has seen an elk?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
There was a bull regularly seen in Cambria county (Patton, Cresson, Glendale...)a year or two ago. Ended up getting hit by a car. I would say its very likely they are in the area.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That area is just as far south as where the two I heard were. The DCNR Ranger that I spoke to said there was no way they were down there, told me they were migrating East, not South. I know what I heard, but that's just it.... I only heard them, didn't see them. Wish there would have been some snow on the ground then.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I don't see how any of the wild elk could have made it to that location. Maybe there is an elk farm nearby?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know just about nothing when it comes to elk except what they sound like, I'm still thinking it was a couple folks having some fun or practicing calls. But who knows... This took place on December 8th, and was pretty deep in the woods and high up in some rocks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TusseyMtMan said:
I don't see how any of the wild elk could have made it to that location. Maybe there is an elk farm nearby?
Was not at an elk farm, I know the area very very well.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I'm sure you know what you heard. The geography does not favor them getting there. As far as I know, they have never showed up in the ridge and valley region, let alone several mountain ranges deep into it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Regardless of them being actual live Elk, or a couple guys calling back and forth I am sure if someone could have seen my face it would have been comical. I was sitting on the peak of a ridge nestled down in some rocks with a great view, had just had a flock of turkeys scratch their way by and whammo......elk bugle. All that my phone video picked up was the high pitched squeal of the elk bugle. Maybe I should send it in to the Bigfoot guys? Lol.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
There was a bull and a cow in the Loganton area in southern Clinton County years ago. The bull got poached and I don't know what happened to the cow. The cow came out to my brother in archery season. Man was he surprised. I don't remember how long ago it was but it has been a good time ago. The Game Commission was trying to trap them because they were crossing I-80 regularly.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
We had three hunters at camp that swore they had elk calling the 1st Saturday of deer firearms season. I talked to the neighboring camp and one hunter there had heard a cow calling as well. We've had elk come through camp back in 2005 but not since until this year. The last Saturday of the season myself & HPA'er TR Mag spotted a single elk track in the mud crossing a logging road near our campers. This was in Clinton county between Monument & Orviston near the 2G/4D line.

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
According to the internet, Turkey Ridge Elk Farm is north of Rocky Ridge, and south of Shavers Creek Nature Center. That's pretty close.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Probably 10 years ago there were elk within 1 mile of northeastern Indiana county near the Glen Campbell/Cherry Tree area. So it wouldn't surprise me to see them anywhere if they took a notion to roam.

Does seem odd to hear bugling mid-December, though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
troutbert said:
According to the internet, Turkey Ridge Elk Farm is north of Rocky Ridge, and south of Shavers Creek Nature Center. That's pretty close.
There is also Sadie Hill Farm in the Donation area. The calls were not from either farm, too far away to be the animals on the farm. Maybe a couple escaped, but I haven't heard. I'm still going with a couple guys practicing calls, maybe.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
just like turkeys gobbling in the fall/winter elk can and do bugle the same. although it generally doesnt mean the same as it does during the peak breeding seasons and it is usually done by the younger subordinate bulls or jake turkeys...usually but not always.

my grandfather and uncle both watched a sizeable heard of elk during the 2nd day of rifle seaason this year and they said the cpl bulls in the group (smallish) were bugleing, fighting and even still trying to breed the cows. this frenzy could have been brought on by one lone cow that came into heat late and got the bulls riled back up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts