1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Great looking mount! Very nice details.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Congrats on a great buck! Nice mount with fine attention to detail with one exception...the lower jaw. I'm sorry, but I've never seen anything like that before in my life! If you don't know what I mean, check out the "Sask Mount Done" post below.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats on a great buck! Nice mount with fine attention to detail with one exception...the lower jaw. I'm sorry, but I've never seen anything like that before in my life! If you don't know what I mean, check out the "Sask Mount Done" post below.
Are you comparing the two? One is a Sept 16th Buck, the other is likely a mid November Buck. I can bet you that if you looked at both forms before the capes were on you would see they probably have the same detail, except the sept cape is very short hair and shows more detail. Look at the ears also, the sept Buck has short hair and the edges of the ears are crisp, not so on the Sask Buck, because he has thicker hair. Hope that cleared it up for you. Everyone has an opinion though.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Most form companies accentuate the muscles in the face and throat of deer forms for whatever reason. Perhaps it's to make the deer look more macho that it actually was.

I've harvested over 120 deer in my short lifetime with at least 30 being early season bow kills. I'm well aware of the hair length on the Jersey deer compared to the Sask mount. That Jersey mount looks quite svelte. All I'm saying is that I've never seen a lower jaw like that on a live or dead deer.

If you kill an old buck, we all know that he'll have more muscle structure. I've killed two bruisers that I had mounted and the forms did indeed have accentuated muscle on and around the face. Even with the heavier, winter hair, my taxidermist shaved the muscles on and around the face and throat, applied a thin layer of Bondo and reworked those areas to make the deer more realistic.

I'm sorry if my comment upsets you.

·
Super Moderator
24,066 Posts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts