The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a center fire for most likely target only.Looking for accuracy and low recoil.May never hunt with it.What would you pick?Something I can play with powder and bullets would be best I guess.Ideas,opinions?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Look no further than the .223 Remington cartridge. Lots of rifles to choose from so there are many right choices.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I vote for 2 calibers either the 222 or a 243 both have good accuracy and a good selection of bullets for experimenting with. I would say though 222 brass is getting a little harder to find but no impossible.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Another vote for the .223.
Here's a tip: Choose the distance you want to shoot first. Set up properly, a .223 can do very well out to 1,000yds.
Choose your bullet weight by the distance you'll be shooting. The farther you want to shoot, the heavier the bullet you'll need.
Choose the twist rate of your barrel by how heavy a bullet you'll be shooting. 1 in 12 for light bullets out to maybe 350yds, 1 in 9 will go to 5-600 with 69-70gr bullets and 1-7 to 8 for 80 or 90grainers that will take you all the way out to 1000.
I think 1 in 9 is a pretty good compromise. It's not the best for 80's or 90's on the heavy end or 36 or 40's on the light end but it shoots everything in between pretty well.
When I built mine I put a 1-8 twist on it so it shoots the heavier bullets well. It's a real hoot busting targets out at 1,000yds with that little .223.
Good luck with whatever you get!

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have never owned a .223.I may when this is over.I'm not sure if I'm buying a barrel or gun yet.Barrel options are 17 rem fireball 1-9,204 ruger 1-12,22-250 1-12 or 1-14,223 1-12 or 1-14 and 243 1-10.I'm only killing paper for fun.If a .223 is best I'm open to that.Just throwing a little about this out there.Part of my fun is the reloading process.I also think it will be a Savage or Remington 700.

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Willy but I'm rolling my own.Cost of components is not needed in the equation,just accuracy and recoil.

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is a .223 inherenty more accurate than other 22 calibers?I'm starting to lean towards a barrel,stock and trigger.Either my Savage 110 or my 700 for the action.I'm not getting any younger and want to build a light recoil rifle.I have some small caliber guns.I am just looking for a fun gun.Like I said if a .233 is best I may go with that.223 AI,Wyle?22-250 AI.This is a one time deal for me,I have listed available calibers or I can have one short chambered and the possibities are almost endless.I can rent reamers and gauges to set head space.That or a Savage or Rem/Age barrel.With gauges of course.If you think I'm nuts,well that's fine too.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I shoot both the .223 and .17 Fireball. The .223 gives you the most options and the reloading components are pretty readily available. The .17 Fireball has great accuracy and VERY light recoil. It is a lot of fun to shoot or hunt with. But brass and bullets are not as readily available.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The .223 is pretty much a standard so brass/components are available everywhere. If you go with the AI version, there will be more steps involved in the reloading process but to me, it doesn't make sense to go with the AI in a 12 or 14 twist barrel. If you want to go with the Ai, get at least a 9 twist so you can use that extra powder capacity to shoot heavier bullets at longer ranges.
The 22-250 is OK but if you plan on shooting alot, be aware, they are known barrel eaters.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
R2D2 said:
If you go with the AI version, there will be more steps involved in the reloading process
How so?
If its chambered "Correctly" you simply chamber and fire the parent then reload them the same as any other cartridge. If you can't its not a true improved.

Bill

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
R2D2 said:
I was referring to fire forming the cases before reloading.

Nuth'n to it.

As I said, if the chamber is setup correctly you simply chamber and fire the parent cartridge, brass or loaded fodder as is. If not, its something else than a true improved.

Done it a at least a few hundred times.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts