The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a question about the timing of the start of the spawning season in Center County area. I wanted to head up for a weekend in October, but I don't want to disturb the Redds if they are spawning! Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I have heard that it is normally in November.

Thanks

·
20,190 Posts
Early October your more than likely safe....Like the first week. Later than that you're running the risk right through the later part of November. That being said I wouldnt let it stop you from fishing. Spend time on the bank and watch where you step. If a stream is really filthy with spawning fish leave and go to a different stream. Every stream peaks at a different time based on a whole host of variables so if one is too active for your tastes the next you try probably will be ok.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
The spawn takes place over a 2-3 month period. When the spawn starts can vary quite a bit based on stream flows. On some streams the trout migrate to spawn and low water can delay it for several weeks. As Trout 2003 said, it will likely start in mid to late October and peak in November. There will be some browns that will spawn in December. I've even seen trout on redds in early January a couple of times.

The brook trout generally start spawning earlier than the browns. I think they'll start spawning in late September or early October.

It is very easy to spot fresh redds and walk around them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts