The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Facebook

We are proud to make this statement in unity with Fred & Michele Eichler, Fulldraw Outfitters, Predator Nation TV and Easton Bowhunting TV.

Due to the recent changes in policies made by Reed Exhibition we will not be attending the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show unless they reverse their decision.

As strong supporters of our 2nd amendment rights we are all united in this decision. We were all looking forward to attending again this year to see our friends & fellow sportsmen and women and regret this unfortunate situation.

God Bless America and our constitutional rights,
Ralph & Vicki Cianciarulo
Archer's Choice® & The Choice®

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Along with celebrities are many show-goers. They'll lose on parking, admission fees, food... everything.

Here's the email I sent to the ESOS:
Please reverse the decision to deny certain vendors a presence at the Eastern Sport Show. Consider the following reasons:

1.) The ripples from Reed's decision are being felt by many who have nothing to do with the issue of so-called "assault weapons" (by that name or any other preferred name.) Harrisburg's hotels and restaurants are not just businesses -- they are staffed by people at the bottom of the economic ladder who will suffer the most.

2.) This decision reinforces the false rhetoric that these guns have no hunting application.

3.) This decision, made at such a late date, is unfair to those who planned to display these products, as much has already been invested in presenting these legal products to the public. In fact, earlier publicity from Reed Expositions even promoted their presence as an important new addition to the show.

4.) The decision is inconsistent, as so many other non-traditional products and products that have nothing to do with hunting, fishing, or camping are being permitted.

5.) It seems to me that a good solution to this problem is to reverse the policy and add a new program: put on a seminar about the use of "modern sporting rifles" showing how they're used for sporting purposes. There are many target competitions (ie., "sports") that use them. Also, in states where semi-auto rifles are legal there are many people who use them for hunting. For example, lots and lots of people use them in the south to hunt wild and feral pigs. This seems like a teachable moment that can both satisfy hunters and educate non-hunters.

I would also like to ask where in the Reed Expositions organization this decision was made. Was it made by the Harrisburg promoters, or in the Norwalk, Connecticut offices, or in New York, or maybe in England at the world headquarters?

If it was not made by the Harrisburg promoters, then it is not fair to force the personnel in Harrisburg to be accountable for the decision.

Waiting a reply,
Signed, listing all my Curriculum Vitae
The ESOS has made a stupid decision. All the main players have just been to the SHOT Show, and you can bet they have been discussing this among themselves. Many of them have said they'd be making a decision early in the week. I suspect many will back out.

It's especially stupid in light of the fact that the SHOT Show is managed by Reed Expositions, the same company that runs the Eastern Sport Show. (The SHOT Show is owned by the National Shooting Sports Foundation.) Reed should have known better. With the SHOT Show happening at the time they made this decision, all conditions were right for this to blow up in their face.

People have been climbing all over Chris O'hara and others who put the show together, but I'm pretty confident it wasn't his call. He's getting his orders from higher-ups. This decision was made at the Norwalk, Connecticut offices, or in New York, or maybe in England at the world headquarters.

They still have time to redeem themselves. I hope they do or they'll lose a ton of money. Now that Cabelas has pulled out, will the Outdoor Channel follow? Can Reed afford to lose BOTH major sponsors?

Steve.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Frankly, even if Reed reverses - it is to late for this years show. No way they are going to reverse the minds of attendees that see them as sell out and more interested in political correctness over a long term relationship with sportsmen.

I also suggest that Reed will not be the promoter for the show next year. Reed lit the main charge on this one and has no powder left for any sort of follow up. Any good will or relationships they thought they had with the Mid Atlantic sportsmen has been shredded.

Reed is going to be tied up in the courts for a very long time over this. Contracts are one thing, but fundamental changes that were in direct opposition to the exhibitors and attendees core beliefs will be at issue.

There is no way Reed can say they did not understand the depth of anger this would have in the sporting community. Reed has been the promoter of the ESOS and the SHOT show for years. They clearly know about, and have even supported the gun rights cause and know the depth of commitment sportsmen have to it.

Lawyers will go after them for material breach of contract. Or in other words administering a poison pill.

We can only hope that the NSSF and the NRA team to provide the exhibitors legal support in the way of a class suit free of charge. It is the only right thing to do in this case.

The legal support is a direct commitment to our sun rights as much as arranging a protest or fighting bad legislation in congress.

Let us hope that the next outrage is those organizations not standing with the foot soldiers who stood the wall for the rest of us.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Bluetick said:
Frankly, even if Reed reverses - it is to late for this years show.
I'm not saying everything will be normal if the show goes on. Reed Expositions has definitely diminished itself. They've done major damage to their brand. Mistrust will linger for years. I don't think the show can be "normal" this year, but I think the first of the week will be their last chance to salvage it. Hopefully, they're doing some serious thinking over the weekend. The right decision will keep others from backing out, and can probably get most of those who have backed out back into the fold. I don't know whether or not they can get Cabelas back, but that's probably the worst sign for them.

Yes, there probably will be court issues over this. They manifestly trumpeted the promotion of "tactical guns" as a draw to this year's show, and now they're backing away from that. Here's a direct quote from a November 26 press release: "More than 200 new exhibitors showcasing guns, archery, fishing, and boating, along with many new products, show specials and a new Tactical Gun & Accessories Section highlight this year’s event. Seems like promoting that, and then canceling it without any explanation, will make people dig to hold someone accountable.

On the question of whether Reed will be the promoter for the show next year, I don't know who else would be. I'm pretty sure Reed owns the ESOS. They're not managing it for someone else like they do with the SHOT Show. It's not like some other organization can take it over. A competing show might come out of this, but no one can take the ESOS away from Reed. And another show would take a few years to get rolling to a competitive size.

Steve.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Time will tell. But I think Reed is finished in the state of Pennsylvania.

This might have worked in other places... but not the number one individual member NRA state in the nation.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Bluetick said:
Time will tell. But I think Reed is finished in the state of Pennsylvania.

This might have worked in other places... but not the number one individual member NRA state in the nation.
You're right. Time will tell. Speaking of the NRA, have you heard the NRA's position? (I'll wait 'til morning. I'm off to bed.)

Steve.

·
Registered
19,654 Posts
Excellent!! I was wonderign about Fred. He is a huge supporter of ARs as sporting arms.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Yeah both the NRA and NSSF really stepped in it. Nothing like poking the hornets nest as a PR tactic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts