The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any thoughts on planting Cedar trees for cover?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
turkeys , grouse & deer will all use them & turkeys will eat the blue berrys during the winter when nothing else is avaliable the trees require a lil thinning every 20 yrs or so & thay thrive on well draind poor soils

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I planted 100 red cedars a few years back at my place upstate in a field I want to revert back to wild state. THey're finally starting to put on some good growth. Highly deer resistant, until Fall and then they're a magnet for rubbing bucks
I plan on planting alot more...

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
uplandr said:
I planted 100 red cedars a few years back at my place upstate in a field I want to revert back to wild state. THey're finally starting to put on some good growth. Highly deer resistant, until Fall and then they're a magnet for rubbing bucks
I plan on planting alot more...
The one property I hunt in Maryland is very large and you won't find ONE cedar tree WITHOUT a rub on it. Every single one gets torn up.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
remember, they are talking about red cedar. At least up here, white cedar is very prefferred winter deer browse. Basically to grow it, you need to cage it.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Farflung said:
remember, they are talking about red cedar. At least up here, white cedar is very prefferred winter deer browse. Basically to grow it, you need to cage it.
White cedar is also know as American Pyramidal Arborvitae, they are planted as windbreaks or privicy screens.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
RW- correct on the Pyramidal Arborvitae, one of many cultivars of white cedar. Near as I can tell, the deer consider all of them delicious. I was involved with a planning project in which a gas pipeline was having habitat connectivity strips planted to facilitate wildlife movement accross the pipeline. Oh, it was in the middle of a deer yard. Took the landscape architect around to look at the white cedar planted in nearby peoples yards and as windbreaks and he quickly rethought the plan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts