The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I am going to say yes, as long as your carry gun can not be considered a hunting gun.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
outdoors man said:
Is it legal to carry, with proper permint, a pistol/revolver during the 2 day archery bear season?
Under the Question you asked....as in a CCW...NO, for there is No Such Thing in PA!

In PA We have an LTCF, License to Carry Firearms...if you have an LTCF, then your good to go to carry in just about any season and can even carry while Spot Lighting!

About the only season you can not carry is while waterfowl hunting!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Shooter X said:
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I am going to say yes, as long as your carry gun can not be considered a hunting gun.
You can carry a S&W .44 mag Revolver, you can carry a S&W .357 Revolver....you can carry any type of Pistol you want....just have to have that there LTCF!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
huntergoldie08 said:
hunter4095 said:
and dont shoot any bears, even if its eatin you.
LOL..REALLY
Shove all the arrows in that Bear.. then Pull the Pistol and empty it into the bear...just make sure that you got bite marks on you that proves the bear had ahold of you and was going to try it's best to make you a prehibernation snack....you then have tried your best to take it with means of a Bow, but it kept attacking you and you had to resort to not taking it to tag it but to kill the dang thing before it killed you.....

NO Transmission Fluid, Brake Fluid or other Mechanic Fluids allowed to be used as fake blood and no using Green Brier patches to rip your arms open to say it was attacking you!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Woodywoodduck said:
... About the only season you can not carry is while waterfowl hunting!
Could you point me to the regulations on this? I have not heard of this and am not aware of such a law.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
sojourner said:
Woodywoodduck said:
... About the only season you can not carry is while waterfowl hunting!
Could you point me to the regulations on this? I have not heard of this and am not aware of such a law.

Thanks.
John S. Would have to quote the law pertaining to it...

I remember last year this subject came up...it was hashed out about even LEOs who are not on duty and are waterfowl hunting can not carry...

Has something to do with the Federal Regs that Single Projectile Ammo is Illegal for Waterfowl Hunting!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Amen hunter....just last night planted one beside a 2 year old who took a step or two towards me after yelling at him at 10 ft. I told him to "Git!" Got a love them bio majors.

Muab Dib

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Muab Dib said:
Amen hunter....just last night planted one beside a 2 year old who took a step or two towards me after yelling at him at 10 ft. I told him to "Git!" Got a love them bio majors.

Muab Dib
I didnt realize this was story telling hour

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
woody....you sure about that PA doesnt have CCW's??

I have one........Concealed Carry Weapon...CCW. not talking about a LTCF...talking about a weapon thats main purpose is concealed carry......maybe im the only one in PA that has a CCW? lol.....thats just what i know that acronym as...

i know alot of people call a LTCF a "carry permit" or such...which isnt correct...

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
mauser06 said:
woody....you sure about that PA doesnt have CCW's??

I have one........Concealed Carry Weapon...CCW. not talking about a LTCF...talking about a weapon thats main purpose is concealed carry......maybe im the only one in PA that has a CCW? lol.....thats just what i know that acronym as...

i know alot of people call a LTCF a "carry permit" or such...which isnt correct...
PA Has an LTCF... it is to Carry, Concelled and Openly... it gives you more rights and less restrictions then open carry without a permit...

A CCW is a Concelled Carry Weapons Permit.. IF We had CCWs in PA, NO ONE Would be able to open carry with a permit and if they did, they would end up fined and loosing thier permit..also, if we had nothing but Conceled carry weapons permits-CCWs, Melanie Hain would Never have won her law suit against the Lebanon County Sheriff!

When you have a CCW, it isn't just pick and choose which county you are in, the WHOLE State would have to have CCWs and EVERYONE Would have to Concelle while carrying and there would be no open carry!

As for your's listed as a CCW...have you ever heard that most Sheriffs in PA have not a Clue what they are handing out by way of permit and don't even know where or when or how you can carry under them of what the heck they even are-LTCFs?

Do some research on Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association site on the LTCF issue, you'll find what is listed in there about PA Only having just that, LTCFs and Not CCWs!

When Melanie Hain was Murdered, a guy brought up the Question on CCWs/LTCFs...1 of the Moderators did a long post on the fact that PA is an LTCF State and Not a CCW State and the whys and hows and so forths!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Just to piggyback on Woody's post...I think mauser was saying that he calls his weapon a CCW (concealed carry weapon)not the permit that allows him to conceal which is the LTCF

Mauser you are right about the LTCF not being a carry permit since you can carry openly just about anywhere legally without one. (with a few restrictions)

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
yep flanuva understood what i meant.....

not pickin on ya woody...hope you know that...

i just always thought CCW stood for Concealed Carry Weapon...not meaning a license or permit or anything...

i know what we have is a LTCF and can carry concealed or not...and i know where your coming from as many call it a concealed carry permit or something along those lines, which it is not...

i was meaning i have a CCW because i have a concealed carry weapon....i KNOW i have a LTCF which makes it legal for me to carry a loaded handgun concealed, open, in a vehicle etc...

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Is it really that important to argue over what the permit is actually called? We all know what is being referenced. We all understand that there may be a legal application of words, but we all also know that it's a license or permit or whatever you want to call it that allows a person to carry a concealed handgun. Calling it a concealed weapons permit or license to carry firearms or just a permit or anything of the sort still says the same thing!

Sorry for the rant...I'm in a mood today and this just rubbed me wrong for the umpteenth time too many!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Your LTCF has to be for "Personal Protection" to carry while bowhunting, spotlighting, etc. The handbook states:

"A person holding a Sportsman's Firearms Permit may not carry a concealed handgun or a loaded handgun while bowhunting or spotlighting."

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
John S. Would have to quote the law pertaining to it...

I remember last year this subject came up...it was hashed out about even LEOs who are not on duty and are waterfowl hunting can not carry...

Has something to do with the Federal Regs that Single Projectile Ammo is Illegal for Waterfowl Hunting!
The new FWS regulations state" ...persons may possess, carry and transport concealed, loaded and operable firearms within a national wildlife refuge in accordance with the laws of the state in which the wildlife refuge, or that portion thereof, is located, except as otherwise prohibited by federal law." Similar regulations were issued for National Parks.

Except for the Federal law that prohibits weapons within federal buildings, refuges will follow state laws and will be contacting state Fish and Wildlife Agencies to clarify the particular state laws and regulations covering concealed weapons.

As far as LEOs, I believe your incorrect:

A. When to Carry. Because we may call Service law enforcement officers to duty at any time, they may carry Service-issued firearms at all times except as described in section 1.13B.

1.13B. Foreign Countries. Service law enforcement officers may not carry firearms in foreign countries in an official capacity unless specific authorization is obtained as described in this section.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
makeitcount said:
Your LTCF has to be for "Personal Protection" to carry while bowhunting, spotlighting, etc. The handbook states:

"A person holding a Sportsman's Firearms Permit may not carry a concealed handgun or a loaded handgun while bowhunting or spotlighting."
A LTCF (License to Carry Firearms) and a Sportsman's Permit are two separate and distinct licenses/permits. If you have a LTCF, then you can carry a firearm (handgun) while spotting, archery hunting, etc., regardless of the "Reason for Carry" that some older LTCF forms included.

There is only one type of LTCF even though some sheriffs may include "Reason for Carry" on the application or the license itself.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Mine lists the reason as "SELF DEF" though there were options on the application. I think I checked self defense and hunting/fishing when I applied. I can't remember though....might have only been able to select one. I've heard 'rumors' that if you put something other than self defense down you'll get rejected....I didn't, but, like I said, I can't remember if I put all the options down or if I could only select one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts