The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you consider acceptable accuracy , and how much do you practice with your concealed carry weapon.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I am a firm believer 99.9% of all modern guns are more accurate then the shooter holding it. Practice is what counts. plus any more then 10 yards is murder

·
Banned
1,072 Posts
darkhollowarcher said:
What do you consider acceptable accuracy ,
I once read something to the effect of "across the room accuracy". Made sense to me. While target accuracy is nice, other than true junk, I'd think most handguns qualify as acceptable accuracy at defensive gunfighting distances. I rate absolute reliability MUCH higher than pure accuracy in a carry weapon.

and how much do you practice with your concealed carry weapon.
A lot. Not a whole bunch in any one session, but it gets fired regularly, and lots of drawing, presenting, dry firing practice.

·
Registered
646 Posts
darkhollowarcher said:
What do you consider acceptable accuracy
Collar bone to sternum & nipple-to-nipple.
First shot in under two seconds. Follow-up shots at about 1/2sec intervals.
Distances from 3' to 21'
Additionally I practice "target accuracy" to work on trigger form.

, and how much do you practice with your concealed carry weapon.
Not enough. I try to take a self-defense class about every-other year. I get to the range about once every three moonths. Except, just prior to hunting season, where it becomes a twice monthly routine. Additionally, I do a routine of drawing and targeting and dry-fires every few weeks.

fjp110 said:
...any more then 10 yards is murder
It's always murder, but the key is were you justified?

·
Registered
805 Posts
I read a study on self defense shooting once. They claimed most conflicts are in the 3 to 9 foot area. Which would be in the point, and shoot area. Having said that. Rule one A Reliable hand gun, rule two practice, as often as possible. I try to practice different scenarios with the holster I normally carry in, Most ranges will not allow this. But I have my own set up. I use what is called the. 6, through 9,. I draw weapon at position 6 remove safety or pull back hammer at positions 7, 8, just in front of your feet as you bring the weapon up. and fire at position 9, If you try this start out slow. And work up to where it is a natural flow. There have been more than one guy shot in the foot or leg, with their own weapon practicing . quick draws.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I practice at least 1xmonth at the range and include clearing stopages processes, changing magazines and multipul targets (2). As for accuracy, I don't think a CCW needs to be accurate beyond 3 feet. Functionality is more critical than accuracy to me. Lastly, I don't plan on ever using my CCW but if I have to, I want the bad guy to be so close to me that I can smell what he had for breakfast.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Just my opinion but if you are going to carry concealled then you should have to go to a clinic and prove your shooting skills. If you can not put every shot inside a 6" group at 10 yards then you have no business carrying something like that. That is not a difficult task to accomplish. It would require people to get out and become familar with their firearms.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lots of good answers and scenarios , I shoot/practice at least several times a week(just enjoy shooting) this weekend a gentleman stopped by while i was shooting and asked if he could give it a try.
This is what i saw happen at 12 yards!
He drew his 45 cal., aimed and CLICK ,oops forgot there wasnt a cartridge chambered (terrible flinch), racked one in fired ten rounds and never touched the 14"x14" target.
My point is if you are going to carry , familarity and practice are very important.In a defensive situation there is a very good chance there are bystanders in or near the field of fire.so in my opinion accuracy is important.

·
Banned
265 Posts
Darkhollowarcher makes some very good points.

I shoot a minimum of once a week. Targets are at 25 feet and are 81/2x11" typing paper with no bullseye. Drawing from holster as slowly as possible I put three rounds on each target, two targets for revlovers and three for pistols. I am, after 20 years of practice, able to place hits on all targets with a J frame, N frame, and all forms of pistiols, from a .22 Ruger 22/45 to a 1911 in under six seconds.

This may sound like good shooting but this is not good enough for me. When really threatened, with my blood pressure twice normal, tunnel vision and hyperventilation all combining to reduce my ability to defend myself without endangering bystanders, it is barely reaching minimal competance. That's why I practice every week, with every sidearm I might carry on any given day.

I must point out that it may be foolish to carry more than one type or even size of sidearm. When the balloon goes up there will probably be no warning, it will be kill or die right now. Having ingrained skills and intimate familiarity with one weapon may be the most important element in defending yourself with a sidearm. I will continue to practice, and may decide that my J frame S&W with Crimson Trace grips will be the only sidearm I carry. It always works, is easy to carry and simple to get into action. Practice is valuable, planning is essential.

Terry

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
well its semi said that all shoting is under 9 feet when it comes to that type of stuff.. but i practice three shots to vitals from inches to 10 yards.. once i started geting really good at that then i started learning to point shoot.. i think being able to get really good with that under 5 yards is the ticket... if you think about it your scared crapless for the most part when you need do defend your self.. last thing your really thinking of is the sights.. thats were point shooting can come in very hanndy

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
duckman76 said:
Just my opinion but if you are going to carry concealled then you should have to go to a clinic and prove your shooting skills. If you can not put every shot inside a 6" group at 10 yards then you have no business carrying something like that. That is not a difficult task to accomplish. It would require people to get out and become familar with their firearms.
Not saying that I disagree with you, but if law enforcement officers had to meet that 6" at 10 yards standard, about 75% of them would be in a remedial marksmanship class.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
if pgh police excluding the swat team got in to a real fire fight like the la thing... they would all be in the hurt locker... i think most practice ther big bad tuffness more then they practice ther shooting.. the cop up the street said he used to have to clean the lint out of his holster and gun about two months before they had to shoot once every year lol...

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
If you ever had the privlage of watching law enforcement try and qualify you wouldn't feel very safe. There are a few who can actually hit something but for the most part all you have to do is stand still at 10 yards and they will never touch you.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Mossie
I would agree with you. But two things must be taken into consideration. fist. I am older and a veteran. I carried a 1911. In the Army, this was the gun I trained with. And have carried for 40 years. And am very comfortable with. Secondly. With the price and availability of new handguns. Some just cant afford, the latest and greatest. Practice and being proficient are the keys to any carry gun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts