The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Has anybody used this on Squirrels? There's a few places I hunt that's close to town and legally far enough out that I don't break any laws but with all the B.S. about gun control I don't want to cause no trouble for myself or anybody else. I know I could find some other spot to hunt but the Squirrels in this area are nice and fat and usually a lot of them.

·
Registered
16,370 Posts
you could also try an air rifle, they are now legal for hunting. i do know for a fact, if you use subsonic 22 ammo with a silencer / suppressor in a bolt action rifle the only thing you will hear is the drop of the firing pin :), sounds like a misfire !

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have some CCI that is 710 fps also considered quiet. It is less noisy than regular rounds, but can still be easily heard. I've used some for traping and it still makes dogs bark about 200 yds away. Like bohunr said suppressed will be the absolute quietest followed by an airgun then the "quiet" 22 loads. The CCI quiet loads out my suppressed 22 makes less noise than a Crossman 760 pellet gun.

Yes they will work on squirrel. Make sure you site your gun for these rounds as they will impact differently than your other loads.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, not sure which way I'll go here. I have some CCI Sub Sonic 22 HP I was using, so I guess I'll just have to get a box of these Quiet 22's and see what the difference is. A suppressor will probably be in my future.;)

·
Super Moderator
12,476 Posts
I have used 22 long rifle, longs and short hollow points for hunting squirrels for many years. I prefer 22 short hollow points, they are quite and the other squirrels are not as apt to run and hide after the shot. I don't use any 22's that are above sub sonic levels. fo that reason...The 22 short hollow points makes a distinctive pop on a kill shot....

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
A CB cap out of a rifle is pretty quiet. I do not know how they would do on squirrels.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
they aren't bad....still a good crack to them unsuppressed. Head shots to past 30 a bit..,on coons and squirrels with the CCI 710fps. Suppressed is the way to go....I can shoot the CCI Segmented 1050 fps and like bohunr said...sounds like misfire LOL. Savage MKII cradled in MDT LS-22 GI

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I wouldn't use the ones in the 1st post simply because there are better choices. They are round nose and designated for target, they will kill a squirrel or pretty much anything else out there but at subsonic speed not as quickly as an expanding hollowpoint. Over a lot of years I have been using various subsonics for pest control around my property and have killed 100's of assorted "targets", gone thru quite a few boxes of almost entirely one shot one kill scenarios. I never practice or plink with them. No need it is used multiple times a week/daily. Some bullets I used would fall into a similar category of what was originally posted and they work, federal gold medal match, remington target, remington subsonic, Eley.

My kimber shoots all the subsonics extremely well less than 1/2" at 50. But better hunting choices are the CCI subsonics hp mentioned above. The 1050fps standard hp are not the quietest but I think the most deadly. They just rip small stuff apart. Opting for even more quiet for about 2 years I've been using the CCI segmented hp at 710fps. Kills very well but you don't see the exterior destruction like the higher velocity 1050fps hp. They use segmentation to ensure the hollowpoint opens up rather than relying on velocity. The 1050 remains a decent slug carrying some weight while the 710 goes to 3 light pieces of shrapnel not creating a really huge exit, don't know never checked if any of the segments remain inside.

Pics below are quite a few years old at 50yds, white target maybe more than 10yrs until they discontinued the Federal, then went to Rem Subsonic about 5 yrs ago, and now for a few years started with the CCI 1050 fps hp, and about 2 yrs the 710fps segmented. Don't have pics of the CCI quiet but I've patterned the Quiet HP at 1050fps and the Segmented at 710fps. Both give groups the same as the below pics well less than 1/2"@50.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
they aren't bad....still a good crack to them unsuppressed. Head shots to past 30 a bit..,on coons and squirrels with the CCI 710fps. Suppressed is the way to go....I can shoot the CCI Segmented 1050 fps and like bohunr said...sounds like misfire LOL. Savage MKII cradled in MDT LS-22 GI
View attachment 157252
love ot! looks good, bro!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my fav load, Waynzee…. kills squirrels dead... groundhogs too!
I guess you're referring to the CCI Sub Sonic .22 HP, if so, yep that's about all I've been using for quite some time now. They have a distinctive "smack" on whatever they hit and they are accurate enough for head shots on Squirrels and vermin out of my 10/22 to about 50 yards.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I purchased a quantity of this "new" CCI "Clean" sub-sonic 22LR. The clean sub-sonic is coated in blue while the high test round is coated in red. I've only shot about 50 rounds thru my supressor but I will say it proves to be very accurate and supressed, very quiet. The purpose of the "Clean" designation is that your 22LR supressor isn't going to get a lead build up on the baffles like regular lead bullet 22LR. I can't yet speak to the clean part yet.....but for accuracy and quiet it's got my vote!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I’ll throw a vote out for the Remington Subsonics. They shoot very well out of my 30yo Remington 572. They accounted for (3) woodchucks in the backyard today (15yards, 40yards, and 60 yards). All head/neck shots. Quiet enough that the neighbors didn’t even look over.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts