The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this mushroom this morning and about a dozen others, and my first thought was, It looks like cauliflower!! So I got my book of mushrooms out and there is a cauliflower mushroom there but it doesn't resemble this one at all. The one in my book describes it as the top looks like wavy egg noodles. Maybe this one is just starting to grow and doesn't have the waviness yet. Any of you pros out there can help me i'd like to know.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
I'd say coral also.
a Cauliflower looks like a bunch of lasangna noodles and are sometimes called noodle 'shrooms.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Moss..my guess is it's a pink coral mushroom..
(Ramaria formosa)

Below is a photo of one of last years Cauliflower mushrooms...

·
Super Moderator
24,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rip

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Ripnmax said:
Moss..my guess is it's a pink coral mushroom..
(Ramaria formosa)
I have two questions if you would be kind enough to reply
1.Is this a etible shroom and 2. I looks alot like hen and chicks would it just be another name for it?? Thanks for any info

Below is a photo of one of last years Cauliflower mushrooms...

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Is this an etible mushroom and is it the same as a hen and chick? Appreciate any reply my mushroom knowledge is not the greatest. Thankss in advance.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
ancient indian said:
Is this an etible mushroom and is it the same as a hen and chick? Appreciate any reply my mushroom knowledge is not the greatest. Thankss in advance.
Yes it is edible and quite tasty....No it is not a Hen but they are both Polypores.

Cauliflower more info: click on http://www.mushroomexpert.com/sparassis_spathulata.html

Hen more info click on
http://www.mushroomexpert.com/grifola_frondosa.html

A few of 30+ Hens AKA Sheephead that I found yesterday and yes they are at the top of my list.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts