The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just need to vent a little. I wasn't going to trap this year but a neighbor asked me to get rid of the muskrats in his pond. Since I was setting his pond, I decided to set a small section of stream nearby that I usually trap. When I went to set the stream, I noticed a trap on one end of the bridge where I enter the stream and noticed boot tracks heading upstream. I decided to make one set at the opposite end / opposite side of the brige and set down-stream since there were no tracks there. Yesterday, as I was walking back upstream after checking my sets, I came to the bridge and saw a kid (15-16 years old) with my trap in his hand. When confronted, he began to studder and said, "I have a set over there." I went on to "explain" that I saw his set but had enough respect to not go near it and went on to describe what I should do to him for attempting to steal my trap. He handed over my trap, without appologizing and said he would remove his trap. I told him that that was not necessary, as he was there first. However, I must have made an impression because I turned around for a few seconds to make my set over, heard a snap, and he and his trap were no where to be seen.

·
Registered
186 Posts
well i really HOPE he learned his lesson. man---its amazing that some people just dont give a crap about other peoples stuff. i always try to teach my boys and hound on them about respecting other peoples property and respect

·
Registered
999 Posts
What was he thinking, first he was taking your gear, but he was going to keep his own set there. You have better self control then I do.

·
Super Moderator
13,526 Posts
May have been a good lesson in life for the young lad, perhaps it will carry over to improve his future decision making.

I know a fellow who as a young kid was caught by the Warden breaking some fishing laws. The warden did not give him a fine, but talked to him like a good dad. The guy told me whenever in life he was faced with a discussion as to do right or wrong he always thought of that refining moment in his life.

Perhaps you deed a very good deed here..glock....

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i too have been the benefactor of a stern warning at a young age when legal or even physical matters could have been appropriate. afterwards i appreciated the break and it went a long way towards guiding my behavior. sometimes people need whooped or the cops called, other times a good stern warning yields more. look at it this way, the kid was at least doing something good while he was doing something bad. now if i could catch the knuckleheads who tried to steal my treestand i will have to remember my own advice.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I have pictures of a guy and a younger kid stealing my buddies traps this week up in Benezett. He was with a kid! Snapped mine off with a stick. I had a trail cam over them to check for misses and got their pics. I would of issued no warning to those two.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
In my book, you took the right approach. No point in threats or screaming. A few words to let him know that he did wrong and got cought may be enough to keep an honest kid from doing future stupid stuff. The benifit of a doubt is a strong message, especially from an adult to a kid.

·
Registered
295 Posts
new to water trapping this yr i planned on setting a couple bridges for mink what i found is there r more people trapping then i no of. just about every bridge that i wanted to set was already set.after seeing that they were set already i just kept going. i didnt even set out half my 110 and only 6 1.5 for mink i just gang set the 2 streams that noone else was setting but i can see y yet to catch a mink. seen tracks twice int the snow the hole season. the little bugger went up over the road instead of swimming the bridge. got a couple more days had to pull 4 sets because of snow and the culverts were filled with snow after they plowed. i pass on a lot of good places just for the fact i no other guys trap there and dont want to take the chance of theft of traps or catches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts